Votes
Patrick C.
  • Saint Cloud, MN
Votes |
St. Cloud Mn SFS license

Patrick C.
  • Saint Cloud, MN
Posted Feb 16 2018, 13:49

Slowly finishing my remodel on a SFH in St.Cloud and plan to get the rental license, and conversion fee, and rental training.

Wondering how many of you have SFH in St. Cloud and how the inspections go? is it a pain, do they knit pick everything, or are you able to get licensed and have a time frame on fixing things (outside deck has peeling paint, cant paint in the winter)

The house is clean, fresh paint in every room, new carpet new appliances.  but in the laundry room there is no drop ceiling you can see the plumbing and some electrical wires...

User Stats

Votes
Nicholas J.
  • Fire Sprinkler Fitter, Property Manager, Handyman
  • Saint Stephen, MN
Votes |
  • Saint Stephen, MN
Replied Feb 16 2018, 14:33

Pretty easy to work with in my experiences. Make sure you have the proper smokes and CO2 detectors, fire extinguisher. They should have gave you a list or will of what to do. They are not there to be a pain, but they do want to make sure it’s a safe living environment. I have a few rentals in the area, let me know if I can help

User Stats

Votes
Nicholas J.
  • Saint Stephen, MN
Votes |
  • Saint Stephen, MN
Replied Feb 16 2018, 14:35

And they will recommend things they see that doesn’t necessarily have to be done, ie tree branches over hangs house , etc

BiggerPockets logo
Find, Vet and Invest in Syndications
|
BiggerPockets
PassivePockets will help you find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.

User Stats

Votes
John Woodrich
Pro Member
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Minneapolis, MN
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Minneapolis, MN
Replied Feb 16 2018, 15:16

Haven't done this in St. Cloud but really they are looking for safety issues.  Enough smoke/CO2 detectors, no open wiring, many cities require you to have functioning windows AND screens on them, etc.  Outside of what I mentioned if you have required railings and the house is livable, it should pass.

User Stats

Votes
Lee Fahy
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Minneapolis, MN
Votes |
  • Minneapolis, MN
Replied Feb 18 2018, 02:57

Hey Patrick C. , the people at the rental inspections place are pretty great but will ding you for little things. Smoke and carbon detectors, window screens, etc but they are willing to work with you as long as you are cool about it. I’ve worked with Julie and Dan at health and inspections on my dump, they were just happy to see good work.

User Stats

Votes
Lee Fahy
  • Minneapolis, MN
Votes |
  • Minneapolis, MN
Replied Feb 18 2018, 02:58

http://www.ci.stcloud.mn.us/DocumentCenter/View/9968

Bam, rental inspection checklist they use.

User Stats

Votes
Patrick C.
  • Saint Cloud, MN
Votes |
  • Saint Cloud, MN
Replied Feb 25 2018, 06:29

Thanks everyone!