• Investor
  • Crystal, MN
Votes |
Tenant Screening Working Well

David Moore
  • Investor
  • Crystal, MN
Posted Oct 5 2018, 10:41

Just wanted to share a neat trick I picked up from a realtor in Albert Lea, that I modified with the help of @Tim Swierczek, who found a site with a totally free form I can use to pre-screen tenants.

So, the realtor associate in Albert Lea told me she pre-screens before anyone sees the place.  Historically, people would call or FB, say, "I want to see it", and 25% of the people would show up, and none of their data would be documented.  So I added a step to the process. Tim suggested a free form site at wufoo.  I created a form, placed my ads out there, and started getting a lot of hits.  

I directed interested parties to provide their email, and then sent them a link to the form, that is like an application form, but much shorter.  It has worked brilliantly to pre-screen.  I get a general idea of their income and other pertinent info.  If they meet my criteria, I set up a showing.  We've had much better success with people showing up and actually applying to rent from us.

This screens out tire kickers like crazy.  I've gotten well over 50 hits on FB Marketplace, and of those, half have sent their email, and half of those filled out the form.  I then send email links to our full application to people who followed the process, and have interest in our apartments.

Loading replies...