License requirements for Permits in StL City and County

2 Replies

Hi Everyone,

On my current flip we are using a General contractor to conduct the majority of the flip and he pulled the permits and has pretty much handled the city on his own. However, in the future I believe I would prefer to GC myself for time management, expense management, etc... My question is, when doing a rehab, say a full gut, in the city of St. Louis or in St. Louis county, what licensing would I need to pull a general rehab permit? 

Alternatively can I just require my subs to pull their own permits for each part of the project? 

How would all that work? 

Thanks, 

Cheers!

Donald,

In my experience it is best to check with the muni and get a copy of the code they are using and see what permits they will require. Some will offer a "all-in-one" style permit and others will ask for multiples to be open by licensed contractors. Happy rehabbing. 

Dave

Originally posted by @Dave Howell :

Donald,

In my experience it is best to check with the muni and get a copy of the code they are using and see what permits they will require. Some will offer a "all-in-one" style permit and others will ask for multiples to be open by licensed contractors. Happy rehabbing. 

Dave

I know from my current experience that the city does a master permit for everything other than electrical, plumbing, HVAC, and dumpster. I know I can get a dumpster permit, and the electrician, plumbers, and HVAC guys can pull their own permits. But I need to know what is required to pull the master permit. 

If you have experience in the city than I'd appreciate any info you have. If not, thanks for the answer anyway. 

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here