Skip to content
New Hampshire Real Estate Q&A Discussion Forum

User Stats

Votes
Steve S.
  • Hollis , NH
Votes |
New Hampshire - Looking to purchase land need help with deal!!

Steve S.
  • Hollis , NH
Posted Aug 24 2017, 11:58

Hey guys I am from Southern NH. A friend of mine has a small seperate of land which is approx 1/3 acre that they bought 10 years ago because it was next to their home. Used to have a camp on it and has not had anything on it for maybe 60 years.

Went to town hall. Asked about it and  was originally told it could not have a house on it because it does not meet the 2 acre zoning minimum the town required. Sounded like I could put a garage on it which is what I want to do as long as I met the setbacks.

Next trip went back to town hall a few months later with more questions and there was new people there. Zoning person did not have a clue at all this time and sent me to building inspector.. the building inspector he pulled the records up and told me this was a "lot of record" which means it was a lot before zoning came into play and is grandfathered in to have a house built on it. I was pretty excited because I am purchasing this lot for a couple thousand dollars.  Before I start doing more research I want to have this under contract...

My friend who is selling it has a quitclaim deed to the property. Its only changed hands maybe 2 times in the last 100 years so there is not much history. 

Heres my questions. Can I get a warranty deed from a quit claim deed? Is there an advantage to warranty over quitclaim? We called a title closing company they said we need a purchase and sales ageement which is standard in NH but I cannot find anyone to send me one. Does anyone here have one they could send me? Every realtor wants to be involved to get a commission and wont help once I tell them its a private sale. They are forgetting when I sell this they may get the commission funny how that works.... Any other advice or things I should know as I have not bought any property before! Thanks!

Loading replies...