Tax Delinquent within NJ

7 Replies

I live in central Jersey and i wanna know the process of obtaining tax delinquent list withing the central Jersey area. Anything will help?

Are you looking for pre tax lien auction or post tax lien auction?

@Eric Waterman what would be the process for both ? Also what's the difference as well ?

well in NJ we are a tax lien state. Once a homeowner gets behind on their property taxes the county wants their money so they will auction off the back taxes in the form of a lien. Once auctioned off, the homeowner has 2 years to redeem the lien, or pay it off plus whatever interest is owed to the investor.  If they don’t redeem within 2 years the Investor has the right to foreclose on the homeowner. That happens only about 5% of the time. I had been focusing on mailing the homeowners within that 2 year window. I know Monmouth County has a terrific OPRS website that you can find all the tax lien certificates issued. It’s very easy to use.  I would cross check the certs with any redemptions and any unredeemed cert was added to my list. I don’t know about middlesex county, but you could google middlesex county OPRS.

with respect to tax delinquent prior to auction, I never did that. It may vary from town to town. I know Howell publishes its tax lien auction list in the asbury park press once or twice a year. You may need to call the towns you are targeting and ask. I know there are services out there that offer lists of tax delinquent properties for a fee. I have never used them so I can’t speak to the quality or accuracy.

@Eric Waterman Eric, for Camden County, how should I go about reaching out to homeowners within that 2 year redemption window in NJ? 

just want to understand...are we talking about finding the people within the window or the marketing method in which connect to these people?

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here