In Law Suit vs. Multi- family

2 Replies

Hi, 

As  I feel like the market for multifamily in North NJ is so competitive that  my chance of getting a good one is so slow, I was told by my uncle to look in to in -law suit instead.  I have done some research and look likes in -law suits, is not quite the same as multifamily even one has separate entrances. I called the town on a house I'm interested in and was told that it would be illegal to rent out a level to strangers. Have anyone gone through the process of legalizing an in- law to a multifamily? Is it worth it? what kind of paperworks are involved and how much does it cost?

Thank you!

@Hoai T.   I would ask the question a different way to this city by asking under what circumstance could I rent out this level.  So for example can I rent it out to relatives or a family friend.  What is I separated the utilities of the unit?  If you give the impression you want to be as compliant as possible they will work with you.  For example, we wanted to build a two stall garage with an accessory building on a property close to a lake that my in laws could stay in when visiting separate from house as well as an office area away from our loud kids.  The city has a law that an accessory building in a residential neighborhood can not be occupied for overnight sleeping arrangements.  (exact wording I forget).  So I asked what would constitute overnight sleeping and it turned out as long as it did not have a kitchen it would not be considered a dwelling for overnight sleeping arrangements.  So we could get our office with a bath, and an area my in-laws can stay when we are out of town, and potentially rental income for somebody not looking to cook. 

Hi @Hoai T.

The ability for a mother-daughter unit to legalized as a separate unit is also dependents on the zoning of the property. For example, if a property is on a lot zoned for up to 2 family, and you wanted to convert the 3rd unit into a legal 3 family, you may also need to get the zoning changed or a variance, which would require board approvals from city planning. 

Some towns are more flexible then others. We have a property in Lyndhurst, NJ. I am almost for certain that they will not allow 3 families in the town, no properties are zoned for that. Which is also why most 3 family and up are so hard to find in Northern NJ!

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here