How can I Finance these 4 properties

6 Replies

There are 4 single family properties I want to purchase. The total price is going to average $50k to $60k each. They are not together or being sold as a package. I plan to put 20% down on each one. I want to finance them with the rents paying the loans. I'm told that no mortgage company is going to finance a $40k-$50k house. I'm wondering if there is a lender that would allow me to bundle them together and finance the 4?

Or any creative ways to finance them all together?

Originally posted by @Cardwell Thaxton :

There are 4 single family properties I want to purchase. The total price is going to average $50k to $60k each. They are not together or being sold as a package. I plan to put 20% down on each one. I want to finance them with the rents paying the loans. I'm told that no mortgage company is going to finance a $40k-$50k house. I'm wondering if there is a lender that would allow me to bundle them together and finance the 4?

Or any creative ways to finance them all together?

Tough to find a lender to do that.

When you talk to lenders the term you want to use is "cross collateralization". I don't recommend it, but some people use it. If you run into trouble in the future you could lose all 4 properties.

Instead, I'd see if each seller would let you take over the mortgage, pay the owner their equity and they move on with life. Have an attorney create a Wrap (it's a note with deed of trust) for each property.

You'll likely need to find a local credit union that would be willing to lend its portfolio. FNMA/GNMA etc have a min amount of $50k. That means that originators won't be able to sell the loan in the secondary market (at least not easily). So you need a bank that extends its own balance sheet.

Call a bunch of banks, you'll get 99% "No's", but eventually someone will say yes. 

Originally posted by @Kon Zel :

You'll likely need to find a local credit union that would be willing to lend its portfolio. FNMA/GNMA etc have a min amount of $50k. That means that originators won't be able to sell the loan in the secondary market (at least not easily). So you need a bank that extends its own balance sheet.

Call a bunch of banks, you'll get 99% "No's", but eventually someone will say yes. 

Originally posted by @Kon Zel :

Thank you @kon zel