User Stats

Votes
Richard Singh
Votes |
About to close on property, seller's lied about rental contract

Richard Singh
Posted Aug 10 2020, 15:47

Hey guys,

I've reached out previously on some reno related questions on what was up to this point a smooth process.

Recap: I'm buying a 2 family in Guttenberg with an existing Section 8 tenant that was presented as month to month. Goal was to submit 60 day notice. 

Update: I found out the week of closing after finally getting a lease agreement from the housing authority that the tenant is actually on a year lease ending in February. The tenant is paying about $800 under market value, and slows down my plans for renovation. My realtor's firm represents both buyer and seller. When asked for a lease, the seller's lawyer and realtor dragged it on and only sent HAP voucher details, but never a lease. We continued to ask but it was not presented, and somehow it just got skipped over and we went on their word. I clearly see my mistake in due diligence, but I give myself a pass since I assume this was my realtor's or lawyer responsibility to advise me here. 

So my question is, where did I go wrong? Who's responsibility was it to confirm lease? What should I expect from a lawyer and realtor?

I've lost a-lot of trust in my realtor and their firm - and also my lawyer - but I do know at the end it's my responsibility. Would love to hear your opinions for future deals.

Loading replies...