Ohio Real Estate Q&A Discussion Forum

User Stats

Votes
Andrew Nocella
Votes |
Looking at becoming a Home Inspector in Columbus Ohio

Andrew Nocella
Posted Jul 21 2020, 13:59

I am currently in the Army station in upstate N.Y. and am looking at moving back home to Ohio. Since my time in service is almost up (about 10 months from now) I am trying to get everything lined up now. 

My philosophy: Following Robert Kiyosaki's advice and getting a job to learn rather than simply earn a salary. (According to my research the average home inspector makes about $55K a year which is about a $20K decrease from my current salary in the Army) My thought is that by working a field where I literally learn to see problems in a house/property would only help me when purchasing my own rentals. My wife and I (no kids yet) plan to house hack in the greater Columbus area when we move. 

I know the barrier to entry involves some education (80 hour online training and online exam) plus some in-person field training with a licensed inspector. If I am understanding it right there is also a annual continued education requirement. Plus the purchase of your tools...

From what I can tell I think the work would be very enjoyable and satisfying and I could see myself doing it as a long-term career. 

Any advice from current Inspectors or anyone who has worked well with them?

Loading replies...