Buying lots destroyed in wildfire

5 Replies

I'm curious about building spec homes on lots that were destroyed in the fires last fall, down around Talent or Phoenix perhaps. Is anyone doing this? Is it a great opportunity or a headache with environmental cleanup concerns or something like that? 

I'm surprised not to see any conversations about building on fire damaged lots already, considering how much was lost last year. Maybe I'm no good at finding the existing conversations?

I have investments in areas that have had large wild fires.  

There can be opportunity if home prices support new construction prices. 

The can be issues with cleaning up the land, particularly if the home was older and had asbestos materials.  

The other issue in small towns that lost a lot of homes is that there can be a shortage of builders/subs in the area. 

Thanks for the responses. Those articles are interesting but not very directly related to building on fire damaged lots. I don't imagine that Talent and Phoenix are going away and i suspect there is strong housing demand in the area. I'd be surprised if those lots don't get rebuilt and i see some are for sale. I'm just not sure if i want to be the one to buy them. 

I'm not sure if it's a matter of hiring a crew to cleanup the site and then build as normal, or if there will be some nightmare of red tape, soil remediation or who-knows-what kind of obstacles.

I'm sure i could ask the listing agents for some information but they are hardly impartial so I wouldn't want to rely on that. 

Originally posted by @Troy Smith :

Thanks for the responses. Those articles are interesting but not very directly related to building on fire damaged lots. I don't imagine that Talent and Phoenix are going away and i suspect there is strong housing demand in the area. I'd be surprised if those lots don't get rebuilt and i see some are for sale. I'm just not sure if i want to be the one to buy them. 

I'm not sure if it's a matter of hiring a crew to cleanup the site and then build as normal, or if there will be some nightmare of red tape, soil remediation or who-knows-what kind of obstacles.

I'm sure i could ask the listing agents for some information but they are hardly impartial so I wouldn't want to rely on that.

my brother lives in Nor cal were thousands of lots were burnt.. he works for an underground contractor.. there is most defiantly major environmental issues with these lots..  so caution is warranted ..  I am sure there will be plenty that are not too bad .

@Troy Smith , talking with the local building department would be a great first step.  Let them know what you want to do and I am sure they could give you some insight into possible issues you could face.