Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Pennsylvania Real Estate Q&A Discussion Forum
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Claire Lee
  • Investor
  • New York, NY
Votes |
Pennsylvania experts! Need your advice for this first timer 🤓

Claire Lee
  • Investor
  • New York, NY
Posted Feb 24 2021, 12:01

Hi BP family! 😄

I am new to BP, been listening to the podcast religiously since I found out about it a couple months ago. Trying to immerse myself in REI as much as I can by reading, listening and watching whatever's floating on web. I've finally decided to take a baby step into the world of REI!

Ideally I would want to start my journey in my city but I currently live in NYC (yes, paying stupid amount on rent), so I've looked few out of States, and right before I get completely paralyzed, I just decided on Pennsylvania and determined not to look back! (At least for the first time, I want to be able to experience majority of the process in person - hence picked a state that's in driving distance).

Been reading random topics very shallowly 😅, then vaguely came up with some plans. Please feel free to comment / answer any / all of questions below, and enlighten me with your expert opinions!

1) Should I register for a corporate to start? (planning on building my RE empire eventually 😎) I've read something about transfer tax, wouldn't want to be taxed twice! If so, what entity?

2) Currently looking around Allentown - Bethlehem - Easton areas (thanks to podcast ep 276, 442), are they suitable markets for multifamily units? Something like a duplex to start, maybe a B class property (I honestly don't know exact distinctions of each class, but definitely want something safe in exchange for less cashflow at least for the first time). If I am looking at the wrong areas, please suggest others!
3) Lastly, what else do I have to ask? What should I look into? any advice is welcome!

Thank you so very much for your time, I will be sure to pay back with my time once I get to the expert level of knowledge and experience. 

-Claire ✌🏻

p.s. am i posting it on the correct forum/discussion thread? this website is a little hard to navigate through 😅

Loading replies...