Veteran seeks MFR (3 or 4) in Houston, Texas

9 Replies

Can anyone recommend a good contact or two in the MFR (3 or 4) space in Houston? Currently living in Nashville but may be making a move for grad school. I am looking to house hack and get through school debt free if at all possible.

Disclaimer: I know nothing about Houston but would be looking near Rice University.  

Thanks in advance for any suggestions to a newbie.  No piece of advice is too basic!

Just curious, what are you looking to study?

How much are you looking to spend? The Rice area can be a little pricey. Also, what branch? Army Vet here.

Originally posted by @Lee Arnold :

How much are you looking to spend? The Rice area can be a little pricey. Also, what branch? Army Vet here.

Depends on number of units, but looking to stay between 600-800, with one for us to live in. 

Army here as well. Have you ever used a VA loan? Heard horror stories, but I've also heard that they have gotten a lot better recently.

Awesome, always nice to have another brother in arms around to talk to! 

I think for that price range you should be ok, but I'm not sure how much the VA will authorize around here. I know that you can go up to a 4 unit and that they will take up to 75% of the rental income to add to your personal income when getting the loan. I haven't used my VA loan yet but my grandfather used his and he said it was decently smooth of a process.

Originally posted by @Lee Arnold :

Awesome, always nice to have another brother in arms around to talk to! 

I think for that price range you should be ok, but I'm not sure how much the VA will authorize around here. I know that you can go up to a 4 unit and that they will take up to 75% of the rental income to add to your personal income when getting the loan. I haven't used my VA loan yet but my grandfather used his and he said it was decently smooth of a process.

Agreed. I hear Texas is a vet friendly place, I would welcome a move to your neck of the woods.

If you hear of our see anything that looks like it would be up my alley don't hesitate to get into contact.

Sounds like a plan Nick. I'll keep an ear to the ground. Let me know if you get a final answer on coming out here and the schools you're considering. I might be able to give you some insight on your options. 

@Sharon Tzib :

Thank you! First things first, how do you link to people when responding on this site? I have been using the 'quote' button but that gives me all the text and then I have to erase it.

Type the @ symbol followed by the first few characters of a person's name and then at the bottom of the post you will see a drop down menu of the people who match . Select the name you want and you are all set!

Sharon Tzib, Re/Max Signature | [email protected] | 832‑745‑8657 | http://www.sharontzib.com