Taxes on a flooded home just purchased

Taxes on a flooded home just purchased

Lender · Central Florida Markets · Member since 2017 · 137 posts · 135 votes

I am looking at a number of flooded properties in and around Houston,

Does Anyone know after I close will I still need to pay the same tax rate assessed prior to the flood ? 

Anyone close on a flood house and were taxes paid on the new lower flood value or full  prior value ?

On Another note I keep receiving emails from a number of wholesalers with what I believe are just Dumb asking prices .. 

Some  wholesalers even  include ( their  own ) estimated repair costs , 

Most of the deals typically work out close to 70/ 75% of the ARV. (That is before Closing costs on the flip .)

That would be one dumb investment deal  leaving such tight margins with great uncertainty  -- No one really knows how buyers are going to react to repaired  flooded homes vs  prior flood Comps  or homes  in the area that did not flood. 

I am looking for a number of properties and projects but the numbers need to make sense -- actually Dollars and Cents...

KC

0Reply
5 views

1 Reply

Jump to latestLatest
  • Specialist · Salado, TX · Member since 2014 · 69 posts · 50 votes
    8y

    Hi Keith;  Regarding the taxes and flood damage, the assessed value in TX is pegged to condition and market as of January 1 each year.  The Harris County Appraisal District (http://hcad.org) has a lot of info on this online and I believe I saw an article in the Houston Chronicle that went into more detail.  Just search in Google.

    If the house is still damaged, I recommend you have a 3rd party document with photos (maybe a Realtor or Inspector), on or before 1/1/18.  This will aid you greatly if you have to protest the 2018 assessment to the ARB in May.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.