Alex Juarez
  • Houston, TX
Votes |
Should I Be Worried About Backyard Neighbors

Alex Juarez
  • Houston, TX
Posted Mar 9 2018, 08:29

Hi All, 

I'm a newbie to RE, but have been studying BP and reading a ton of books hoping to learn and build enough confidence to finally dive in. I'm an Electrical Engineer, 29 years old, a native Houstonian and excited to be a part of this community and begin this new RE journey. I'm currently looking to get into RE by investing in rental properties. I'm primarily focusing on SFR in the Katy area. From what I've researched it's a good area for rentals, and it's also not too far from where I live.

I've been looking for properties for about 6 months now and have felt that I've been stuck in the analysis paralysis phase for a while. I have seen a few houses within these 6 months, but so far the houses I've seen have had some type of major repair work that wasn't visible in the pictures. 

Anyways, to the question. Yesterday I went to go see a house I was interested in. The numbers worked, and the house looks nice. The backyards of the surrounding neighbors though, didn't look very nice. 3 out of 5 had sheds in their backyards that looked like they were falling apart, and one of the sheds was almost as tall as the house. 2 out of 5 also had a canopy/tent type thing and they both were discolored with holes in them, but they were still propped up. These were clearly visible from the dining room window, the kitchen window, and of course the back yard. The neighborhood looks nice (I would say class B), I even drove around the other side of the block to look at houses with the sheds and they look nice from the outside. So I was wondering if anyone has been in a similar situation, and if this is something I should pass on? How bad of an impact could this sort of thing have? Are there any solutions to this? I was brainstorming and couldn't really see a solution besides maybe planting a tree to try to cover up the tallest shed. 

Any input is greatly appreciated! I know I'm new here, but if there's ever anyway I can help with anything, please, don't hesitate to ask. Also, I'm up for meeting local members of BP, so if anyone ever wants to bounce ideas off of each other, I'd be open to meeting for coffee/drinks. 

Thanks, 

Alex

Loading replies...