Votes
Connor Heim
  • College Station, TX
Votes |
We need your husband, little lady...

Connor Heim
  • College Station, TX
Posted Jul 22 2018, 16:22

OMG, It's like The Handmaid's Tale here in College Station!

I have a verbally accepted offer from a seller; the seller is financing the deal. I went to the real estate agent's office (I'm buying direct from the listing agent) to sign the offer documents, and he asked where my husband was. I told him he was not coming, that the property will be in my single-member LLC. He told me my husband will *still* need to sign the paperwork, as Texas is a community property state. I told him my husband is not a member of the LLC, the buying entity. He said that "in case something happens to me" my husband would be on the hook, so he needs to sign all the documents. (Which, BTW, is probably illegal, as why would someone who is not any part of a corporation, i.e., my husband, be required to sign???)

He then started telling me alllllll the paperwork that I would need to provide from the LLC -- you know, articles of incorporation, etc. and asking do I know how to gather up all that stuff. OMG.

LOL, then I started discussing husbands/wives each having independent mortgages for up to 10 properties each.  And he said that's not possible.  Oh, BTW this agent also has his own rental properties.  And the seller is an investor.

Anyhow, I just let him blather on about this silliness, took home the offer info, will sign on my own and send it back.

Oh, and BTW, I'm 52 years old, LOL!

Loading replies...