Texas Real Estate Q&A Discussion Forum

User Stats

Votes
Jonathan G.
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Tyler, TX
Votes |
Tenant asking to break lease!? What do I say??

Jonathan G.
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Tyler, TX
Posted Apr 1 2019, 18:29

I just received a text from one of my tenants and I need to know how to respond!

She said, “Any chance you have someone wanting to rent? I wish I taken the 6 mo instead of 18. Things change so much. I’m starting a new job in rusk. Pay decrease. I’m not gonna break lease but if we can work out any way out of it best.”

How would you respond to that?

Background- The property is in TX. She just paid her rent for this month today. She is 6 months into an 18 month lease and this lease is super tight. I will attach some pics of some of the language below.

She hasn’t proved to be the best tenant so I don’t really want her but it could take 1-4 months to rent AND we are in the process of doing a refinance. All the leases have been turned over to the bank. I know if I took her to court I wouldn’t get all she would owe me for breaking it.

Our lease says that she would NOT get her security deposit back for breaking the lease. Should I give her an option to leave early if she paid 2-3 months rent? If I do that does that substitute for “satisfying” the lease and then I can’t get my security deposit from her or can I take both?

Also, since I have received it in text, do I ask her to send the request via email? Do I respond via email? Do I talk to her in person? 

I have attached images of pertinent pieces of our lease below.

Appreciate your advice, thank you in advance! 

Loading replies...