Houston, TX · Member since 2018 · 41 posts · 11 votes
Hey my fellow Houston Real Estate Experts, please drop a real estate statistic or fact about our city that would get others excited about investing here.
Investor · Cypress, TX · Member since 2016 · 170 posts · 139 votes
7y
TX 99 [Grand Parkway] will look like Sam Houston Tollway in very short order. Economic expansion and job growth around it will be amazing. It already needs to be widened from Tomball to Spring [can't handle rush hour loads]
Rental Property Investor · San Diego, CA · Member since 2013 · 3k+ posts · 4k+ votes
7y
Originally posted by @Account Closed:
Hey my fellow Houston Real Estate Experts, please drop a real estate statistic or fact about our city that would get others excited about investing here.
Houston, TX · Member since 2018 · 41 posts · 11 votes
7y
Hey @Cody L. -- I am from the Houston area and looking to start investing in there in the near future once I make it back to the States (my wife and I are currently working remotely from Bali). I'm not sure what "tread" means -- but if you meant to say "thread" then my goal of starting this thread was to spark discussion among other Houston area investors that would be insightful and also encouraging to me, the community and others that may be interested in investing there.
May I ask, what was the goal of your comment? I see you removed your company name on your profile so as not to market yourself. I most certainly have not as I am in the beginning stages of my company (started in January of this year) and always looking to advertise my services and help as many people as possible, as well as myself, of course. Not to jump to conclusions, but your comment made it sound like you were offended by my post. I hope that's not the case :)
On another note, I see you have a massive amount of properties in the Houston area... when I do make it back, it would be sweet to connect if you're ever in the area. I'm sure there's loads I could learn from you. In exchange I'd be happy to help you out with your website design and/or development, should it make sense for the both of us. My father is also a brilliant lender in the area and if you ever need anything on that front I'd be happy to make that connection.
I am new to BP so I hope I am not violating any rule -- absolutely feel free to tell me if I am.
Rental Property Investor · San Diego, CA · Member since 2013 · 3k+ posts · 4k+ votes
7y
@Account Closed I don't think you're violating anything - though I've had posts deleted for reason I felt were pretty silly so who knows. But anyway --- Yes, I meant 'thread'. Nice catch. Nope, didn't offend me at all. That's pretty difficult to do.
Was just curious if your goal was to find reasons for yourself to invest in Houston, or were asking because you were curious, or were asking for info you could give others to help you raise capital from investors, etc.
Best of luck once you make it back to the states. Would always be willing to trade my advise for some web help. My site is ugly as sh*t. I hate leasing and marketing to be honest (and am still looking for someone to head that up). So any branding, web stuff, marketing process, etc. is done by me -- poorly.
Investor · Houston, TX · Member since 2010 · 234 posts · 145 votes
7y
@Account Closed question about what is the "intent" of the thread ... Your questions is like " why should i get exited to buy a car" ... too generic ..
Having said that ... its really doesnt matter where you buy/sell.. as long as you know the economic behavior of that location and price properties accordingly. ..Real estate is very local (down to Zip code level) ...
What i would suggest as you get started , figure out your financing and then use that to direct what /where you can buy /trade ..if you buy right then margin should be there .. Best of luck
Lender · Farmington, CT · Member since 2015 · 542 posts · 321 votes
7y
@Hunter Ricks hey Hunter, i live off 99 in Richmond and the growth out here is crazy. We just an HEB, Academy, Target etc.
With that being said, all my properties are out of state. I’ll be interested to see what other people have to say in response to your post. Thanks for putting it out there!
Houston, TX · Member since 2018 · 41 posts · 11 votes
7y
Hey @Shahriar Khan -- your response brought zero value to me or the rest of the community. @Ryan Deasy added insightful info and @Cody L. was asking a legitimate question that he explained in more detail after I asked him.
You, on the other hand, just seem like you want to be critical -- which makes zero sense. I don't think my question is "too generic" -- maybe you should read it again -- and if you have any real value you'd like to add, feel free.
North of Houston · Member since 2018 · 349 posts · 181 votes
7y
I agree with @Shahriar Khan this is real big place. When shaking a stick at Houston, you can't and chew it all at once, there is not one monolithic market or even one city for that matter. I hope you take that part as good advice. Sooner or later, you got to focus on an area with in the area and familiarize yourself extremely well with it before you dive in
Here are some generalized pointers on where to look :
If you look at all of suburban Houston, where ever a highway was widened and expanded, a proportionate amount of growth followed it, so look and pay attention to when roads will be completed, (and TXDOT lies, don't ever invest based on what hey tell you over the phone) Follow the powerful people behind an freeway expansion. Only they seem to make roads get finished, not the general public. Piggy back on to developments that have a history of getting their way with state government..
More immune elitism and to politics, we have our fantastic and forgiving inner city tearing down old obsolete junk and then building new with all the endless benefits and services of higher density urban life.
If this city ever had the ship channel widened ( 4 times wider and twice a as deep) , it could become the greatest economy in the world has ever known.
Investor · Houston, TX · Member since 2010 · 234 posts · 145 votes
7y
@Account Closed this community if full of resources and have extensive knowledge about US market down to zip code and since we care, we share what we think new investors should keep in mind.
If you assume, we all will take time from our busy life to say exactly what you want to hear and will not critique your thoughts then i added ZERO value ...but thats not the way this community works and we expect you be open to others feedback. We have walked the path what you want to walk and we are trying to minimize pain point based on some the mistakes we have made.
And YES, your question is absolutely generic since 4th largest City (Houston) has 3rd largest county in USA, with 20+ neighborhoods,119 zip codes and 1.2 million pieces of properties and you were asking about is this a good place to invest :)
Feel free to reach out if you needed additional data point .. Happy Sunday ...
Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
7y
Originally posted by @Account Closed:
Hey @Shahriar Khan -- your response brought zero value to me or the rest of the community. @Ryan Deasy added insightful info and @Cody L. was asking a legitimate question that he explained in more detail after I asked him.
You, on the other hand, just seem like you want to be critical -- which makes zero sense. I don't think my question is "too generic" -- maybe you should read it again -- and if you have any real value you'd like to add, feel free.
your a little sensitive Hunter.. no one who has responded on this thread did so in a way to be smart alecks or anything.. I mean you in one paragraph called out Cody only to then back track.. as you found out he is a player.. And many don't put their business's on the sig line I don't. I put m charity.. I have plenty of business with out trolling BP for it.. as I suspect Cody does not need to either..
But no question this is a service providers green acres here.. lots of folks probably need what your selling at some point to launch..
Houston, TX · Member since 2018 · 41 posts · 11 votes
7y
Hey @Jay Hinrichs -- agreed that I was a bit on the defensive. I appreciate your response. My response to Shahriar was not necessary and a bit harsh. Would have been better to just keep my mouth shut. I have lots to learn and oftentimes I learn the hard way -- ha! Thanks for calling me out.
If the med center was its own city it would be the 16th largest in the US
Every pro sports team except Hockey is here
2nd largest exporting port in the country.
2 international airlines have Hub operations based in Houston
Average home price is 21% below the national average
Rent is 28% above the national average
Steve, this is exactly what I was looking for! All super cool facts about Houston that would get others excited about investing there. I appreciate it.
First, I wanted to give you a compliment for your humble apology. I have learned many lessons the hard way, too. It takes a real confident and solid personality to make that reply that you made!
Secondly, I would like to offer you some posting advice for BP. I have found that I will get a much more high quality, successful, and engaged/detailed thread going, when I take some time to do some basic research and post that with the question. For example:
"Hey BP, I have been doing some research on Houston and found these statistics: there are X number of military bases, there are X number of universities with aprox Y number of students, etc.... my list is not exhaustive, but, I would love to hear from BP about what I am missing or getting wrong/right, or any other juicy data that would be helpful for encouraging investment in Houston. "
Even if you only spend 15-20 min googleing and compiling some of the data, it shows self motivation and may demonstrate that you know enough of the basic key concepts and variables that an investor should be concerned with, so in turn you stimulate the pros and master level posters to want to add real in depth value, that is deeper or more insightful than what can be determined from a 15 min google search.
Otherwise, you will get replies that feel sarcastic(some may actually be) or just posters are not sure if you are for real and worth engaging with at a deeper level and/or other people will just be posting the same stuff you could have already googled yourself.
Anyway, you get the idea...the more value the original poster can initially add to the forum, the more that poster can and should expect added value from the replies.
Hey @Jay Hinrichs -- agreed that I was a bit on the defensive. I appreciate your response. My response to Shahriar was not necessary and a bit harsh. Would have been better to just keep my mouth shut. I have lots to learn and oftentimes I learn the hard way -- ha! Thanks for calling me out.
Hey Hunter,
First, I wanted to give you a compliment for your humble apology. I have learned many lessons the hard way, too. It takes a real confident and solid personality to make that reply that you made!
Secondly, I would like to offer you some posting advice for BP. I have found that I will get a much more high quality, successful, and engaged/detailed thread going, when I take some time to do some basic research and post that with the question. For example:
"Hey BP, I have been doing some research on Houston and found these statistics: there are X number of military bases, there are X number of universities with aprox Y number of students, etc.... my list is not exhaustive, but, I would love to hear from BP about what I am missing or getting wrong/right, or any other juicy data that would be helpful for encouraging investment in Houston. "
Even if you only spend 15-20 min googleing and compiling some of the data, it shows self motivation and may demonstrate that you know enough of the basic key concepts and variables that an investor should be concerned with, so in turn you stimulate the pros and master level posters to want to add real in depth value, that is deeper or more insightful than what can be determined from a 15 min google search.
Otherwise, you will get replies that feel sarcastic(some may actually be) or just posters are not sure if you are for real and worth engaging with at a deeper level and/or other people will just be posting the same stuff you could have already googled yourself.
Anyway, you get the idea...the more value the original poster can initially add to the forum, the more that poster can and should expect added value from the replies.
Best of luck and thanks for your great attitude.
Hey Issac!
Man, thanks so much for your response. Not only was it super informative and helpful, but it was also really encouraging. I sincerely appreciate you taking time out of your day to respond the way you did. I am obviously new to this and this is my 2nd forum post on BP... if learning the hard way is a good thing, then I'm on the fast track! Haha. But in all seriousness, it's really good for me to get this feedback -- I prefer to get it now and learn from it -- the sooner the better.
I really like what you said about being more specific with my questions and it makes a ton of sense. Not only will it force me to think more, but it will show others I'm serious and I'll, in turn, get more thoughtful and helpful responses. I have been wanting to start posting and getting involved on here for a while now so over the weekend I made it a goal to start one forum post a day as a way of holding myself accountable to getting involved in the community. Though my intentions were good, I see now that it may be better to take a bit of a different approach and I fully intend on doing that.
Man, thanks again for your response and the kindness and tone of it. I appreciate the grace and encouragement.
What part of Houston? I’ve search in and around the loop and the prices are way too high.
Hey Chris, I'll be living on the outskirts... The Woodlands/Spring area. Ideally, it would be great to invest as close to home as possible... at least for my first few single-family buy and holds. Still doing my research and I'm in no rush. I feel like if you're patient and persistent, you can make deals anywhere. But, of course, some places are easier to do that than others.