Moving to JBLM, Tacoma, Lakewood, Lacey, Olympia, Seattle Washington in August!

15 Replies

Hello everyone in Washington!

Big news -- We are being reassigned to JBLM next month! 

I am from the PNW originally, and love the Seattle/Tacoma area. It is absolutely beautiful up there! We're coming from Germany, and really looking forward to getting back to the PNW to enjoy all of the people and outdoor/coastal activities -- plus I am a lifelong Seahawks fan!

In regard to real estate -- We are looking to house hack a duplex, tri or quad in the vicinity of JBLM. My VA loan is tied up with other rentals in Colorado and North Carolina, so we will likely look to use an FHA 203k to rehab the property if needed.

Additionally, I think that once we get out there we will not want to leave the Seattle area. We've lived in the south for nearly all of my 20 year military career, and we are ready for a change in climate! I would like to knock out my agent's license and begin working in the area as a listings agent, and we plan to sell our out of state rentals and focus our efforts in the areas around JBLM.

Again, we can't wait to get out there -- meet all of you, and get started on a new chapter of our life.

See you soon!

Kerry Smith, Patriot Home Buyers | [email protected] | 2532097667 | WA Agent # 121556

Kerry, 

I am also in the same boat. .... leaving germany heading to jblm...... we are looking for a single family in either University Park Tacoma or Puyallup...... based on my research these areas would do well regardless of military changes in climate.... would love to chat if you want. ....my german number is 01723019093. ....hit me up

Dave

@David Pierce that's great Dave!

I will take a look at those areas tonight on Google. 

When are you guys headed out there?

I'll definitely give you a call in the next few days to chat!

Kerry Smith, Patriot Home Buyers | [email protected] | 2532097667 | WA Agent # 121556

Kerry, 

I'm headed out TDY tomorrow but will be driving home from Stuttgart tonight 4-8pm if you want to chat. ....If not we can connect in a few weeks

@Kerry Smith if your rental in Colorado is the one that holds your VA loan you could refi out of that loan. Not sure if that would allow you to reuse the VA loan or not. Values here have increased significantly in the past couple of years and you would likely have enough equity to go conventional if you qualify on the other fronts besides equity.

Also were referring to Colorado as the "south", I think most people here would disagree with that categorization. 

At any rate take care and enjoy your return to the PNW.

Medium rre 1to1 small sizeBill S., Reliant Real Estate, Inc. | 720 207‑8190

Hi Kerry, Hi David,

I'm a broker with Gig Harbor Real Estate, living in Tacoma. I was born and raised in the area. If I can help either of you on the buying end of what you are looking for, feel free to reach out! 

Josh - 253 241 0324

@Kerry Smith - Welcome to Washington State and the Puget Sound region! I was just about to suggest contacting @David Pierce as I believe he is in the same situation as you, but I see that he has already chimed in.

Depending on your budget, I believe that you will find great opportunities in the JBLM region, certainly you can buy a 4-plex for under $350K, although I'm not sure of how much living space you and your family will need. The Seattle region as a whole is very hot, some parts starting to froth up a bit, getting to that pre-bubble stage in my opinion, you will find ample opportunity throughout your investment footprint.

Were you planning on opening your own brokerage or just getting an agent's license? I'm not completely clear on how these things work.

Although this summer has been unusually hot, my experience as someone who was born and raised in the PNW is that the mild temperatures in summer and winter are usually a great selling point for out-of-staters who move to the area.

Go 'Hawks!

hi @Kerry Smith and @Jason Pierce

I am a real estate broker (investor friendly) at Caliber Real Estate in Tacoma. I can help you with any on market deal. We specialize in helping people buy at the foreclosure auction as well. We also work with a local hard money lender to help if you don't have the cash to buy at the auction. Message me and we can talk about your goals and strategies.

Originally posted by @Kyle Parks :

hi @Kerry Smith and @Jason Pierce

I am a real estate broker (investor friendly) at Caliber Real Estate in Tacoma. I can help you with any on market deal. We specialize in helping people buy at the foreclosure auction as well. We also work with a local hard money lender to help if you don't have the cash to buy at the auction. Message me and we can talk about your goals and strategies.

it seems like there are a lot of auctions happening. .....wouldn't know the first thing about that side of investing though I would like to know more

@David Pierce

We have meetings at our Tacoma office every Thursday at 6pm where we go over the homes up for auction the next day. We can meet up before hand to talk strategy whether that be at the auction or on market deals

@kyle parks    that sounds good. ....I think our first home will probably be market as we need to move in fairly quickly

@Bill S. Hi Bill! I was definitely not classifying Colorado as a southern state. I was referring to the 12+ years I spent living in Georgia or North Carolina. I only spent three years in Colorado and loved it! Thanks for the advice on the VA, even with a refi I do not think the property in Colorado fits in to our business plan.

@Alex Chin Hi Alex, thanks for the welcome! I haven't studied up on the WA licensing laws, but I am certain I will have to work under a broker for 2-3 years before I can venture out on my own. I would really like to attend a good in classroom real estate course. I know how I am with online courses, and I do not think I will take as much away from it. Plus, the upside to going to class in person is meeting new agents in the area. Eventually I will definitely have my own brokerage though.

@Josh Jacobsen & @Kyle Parks Thanks for the welcome guys - I will definitely be reaching out to both of you in the coming weeks. We are researching the internet now to identify neighborhoods and potential properties we like. It's looking like we're going to need a 3/2 duplex to get my family of five to fit. Definitely not opposed to a fixer upper!

family of five in a duplex out around jblm?   Can't find anything with over 1400sq ft on each side that isn't in need of huge repair....I have four in my family but couldn't find anything of interest under 400k

Hmmm. Well, depending on your budget and locational flexibility, there are some decent house hack options. I remember taking a look at a 4-plex where the "main" unit had something like 2,000 sqft., asking price was around $400K, way over my budget, but could be someone's treasure.

DuPont is close to the base. Has primarily has newer builder homes and good, safe, surroundings.  But there aren't very many options in terms of multi-units here.

Adrian Chu, Adrian Chu & Associates | Horizon Real Estate | [email protected] | 2064075452 | WA Agent # 107768, WA Lender # MLO-920749

@Kerry Smith, 

Welcome! @Adrian Chu has recommended realestateschool.org for me as an online option.

If you have time during the work week, I've heard great things about Rockwell Institue.

Unfortunately, I have a day job, and am not willing to take vacation for classes.

Let me know if you do find a school with night and weekend options! Otherwise, I will be starting my online classes next week.

Best,
Jan