Washington Real Estate Q&A Discussion Forum

User Stats

Votes
Max B.
Votes |
30 day rentals a viable option in WA?

Max B.
Posted Oct 19 2021, 22:54

I'm an aspiring real estate investor looking to get a better sense of the WA market (born and raised in Tacoma, and currently own a house in Seattle). One concept that has caught my eye is "mid-term", or 30 day rentals. From what I've been able to research so far, they seem to give you some of the ROI benefits of STR while staying on the right side of anti-STR regulations. I'm also attracted to the idea of finding a place that my fiancee and I could occasionally use as a vacation home while still renting out most of the year.

With the recent shifts in policies towards remote work among many of Seattle's biggest tech employers, it seems that there might be a bigger opportunity going forward to offer furnished rentals that really cater to "digital nomads" looking to work in beautiful/interesting locations (with high-speed, dependable internet, a good work station, and probably other amenities). 

Just based on where we enjoy visiting, I'd love to find a place in one of these locations: Vashon, Whidbey, San Juans, Bellingham/Chuckanut, Port Townsend, Port Angeles, Walla Walla; in OR, Cannon Beach, Manzanita, Portland, Willamette Valley. But not sure how tough it may be to find something where the numbers work within those areas, as I've probably listed most of the most expensive places in the state after Seattle/Bellevue. I know travelling nurses are one of the traditional customer segments within the 30 day rental market, but I'm guessing they probably wouldn't be my target in any of the places I'm looking.  

I'd really appreciate any insights, tips/tricks or watch outs for the 30 day rental market in WA, and especially any success stories. Thanks very much!

Loading replies...