Rural Home With No Septic or Sewage System

10 Replies

I have been looking at a house that is for sale in rural Mississippi. It does and not have a septic tank. It only has a main drain that's running 'somewhere'. The house is on 1/4 acre which I assume would require it to have a wastewater treatment plant. The elderly owner had lived there for quite some time but she recently died.

Does anyone know if a septic tank can be installed in this situation? What would be the estimated costs? I do have some idea what a wastewater treatment system would cost for this 2/1 1,100 sq/ft. house.

Hi Cornelius,

You should probably start first by contacting the State Health Dept. and see what they say will be required. They have to sign off on all waste water system installs. And this one may be more expensive since it only has 1/4 acre of property. I my area they usually require at least 1-1.5 acre lot for private sewer systems. They'll have to allow something since the house was existing before those requirements but it may cost you more than the norm, which in our area ranges from $3000-$5000 depending on the type of system. Hope this helps some!

Maybe there is a cesspool. If your property was listed with the town, taxed and occupied I would just call and ask the town if you can replace it. Can you get someone to scope the line coming out of the house? I once had a house with a brick cesspool. I am sure that was homemade , you may have something unconventional.

I have only considered purchasing the home. I will not go farther until I get clarification. The house is outside the city limits (in the county). I am thinking of talking to the county's health department because I know they regulate wastewater treatment systems for mobile homes. I am assuming that they are the regulating authority for this matter as well.

Originally posted by @Clint Bolton :

Hi Cornelius,

You should probably start first by contacting the State Health Dept. and see what they say will be required. They have to sign off on all waste water system installs. And this one may be more expensive since it only has 1/4 acre of property. I my area they usually require at least 1-1.5 acre lot for private sewer systems. They'll have to allow something since the house was existing before those requirements but it may cost you more than the norm, which in our area ranges from $3000-$5000 depending on the type of system. Hope this helps some!

The State Health Department regulates such here too. Each county has it's own office. Usually this is a mobile home issue. I know that Mississippi requires wastewater treatment systems for anything less than two acres. I replied to another person before I read your answer. Thanks!

The size of the home and how many people will be living there are some of the things to consider when sizing the septic system.  For a family of 4 people, we were quoted $22,000 for a sand mound up here in PA.  

They are nearly that expensive in Mississippi.

Updated about 1 year ago

I meant to say that they do not costs that much here.

Given how cheap property is in Mississippi it is hard to imagine that putting in a septic tank for small mobile home would be worth it. I buy 3bdrm 2ba houses on a 1/4 acre lot for 30-35K. 

Check around I live in Tx had a in rural area 3 bed bath 1/2 aerobic system I was priced around 7000.00

Cornelius,

Unfortunately, you run into this sometimes in the country.  We bought back my great-grandfather's house and the previous owner brought in a manufactured home.  There were 2 septic tanks on the 5 acres...they ran a pipe "down the hill"...yeah.  Anyway, I'm a professional engineer in Mississippi and live out in Brandon. If it doesn't Perc you'll have to get a mound system (your ballpark probably isn't far off).  If it does, you can get a traditional septic tank which should be around 8-10k.  I can do the perc test for you if you end up buying it. Good luck.

if its running " somewhere " and its working and there is no sewage coming to the surface . Whats the problem ?   

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here