How much should insurance cost?

5 Replies

I'm looking at a potential first property. It is a single-story duplex on a crawlspace. It is worth about $100k. It has vinyl siding and is on about a 1/3 acre lot.

I asked ISG for a quote and sent to them the listing only (no one has been onsite to check out the duplex).

This is what I was given as a first quote:

Total annual premium $2,111.52




COVERAGE Building, LIMIT$ 250,000, DEDUCTIBLE $1,000 (all perils), VALUATION Replacement Cost

COVERAGE Other Structures, LIMIT $25,000, DEDUCTIBLE $1,000 (all perils), VALUATION Replacement Cost

COVERAGE Fair Rental Value, LIMIT $ 25,000

COVERAGE Vandalism & Malicious Mischief Coverage is included


COVERAGE Premise Liability, LIMIT $500,000

COVERAGE Medical Payments to Others - $ 5,000

Payment Options:

Annual Paid in Full $2,111.52

Monthly $ 410.23 down payment with 10 monthly payments of $ 183.50


Are these numbers about what you would expect for a (2-unit) duplex?

@Adam Bradley This seems high to me...I am paying just under $750/unit for my 4-unit and my coverage is similar to yours but actually a little better.

I would definitely keep receiving more quotes before you settle on one.


I signed with Quincy Mutual Group...I am not sure if they are local only or if they are national.

I heard of mine through a friend so it is worth reaching out to others you know who own property and see what they suggest.

@Adam Bradley  That seems high to me as well, unless you're in a flood zone - but it doesn't look like you are.

You might consider raising your deductibles to get a lower premium.

I think it seems high as well, I would recommend contacting a local insurance broker as they can shop many different markets for you.  If you don't shop your policies around you will never know if there are better rates/coverages available.

I would recommend a $1,000,000 liability limit at the very least - the current limit would possibly leave you under insured and the cost between $500,000 and $1,000,000 usually isn't a lot.  You should also have a limited amount of content coverage unless you don't own anything in the home.  Generally landlords own things like fridge, stove, washer, dryer etc., so I would want some coverage for that.  Usually does not cost that much to add anyway - still subject to your deductible in the event of a claim.  

Thanks, Jordan

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here