1% rule in Phoenix Arizona

7 Replies

Hey all! I have been searching for a while and it has been tough to find anything that meets the 1% rule in the current Phoenix market.  I did however purchase a condo 7 months ago that is at about .8% and has been doing well so far.  I am actually planning to buy another one in the same complex with a similar return.  

All that aside, is anyone still able to hit the 1% rule or higher when purchasing in the phoenix area?

Thanks,

Kevin

Mods please delete if possible. Moved this to the main Arizona forums

@Kevin B can you point me in the direction of the main Arizona forums? I'm new and can't seem to find them. Thx!

I have this Cash Flow Machine for Sell In Phoenix if you're interested.

"is anyone still able to hit the 1% rule or higher when purchasing in the phoenix area?"

We were saying the same thing two years ago.

We've switched focus to Tampa / Fort Lauderdale where the 1% rule is more realistic.

Florida and Nevada are the only two states (in appreciating markets) where average home prices are still below 2007 highs - they will probably surpass that this year.

We plan on coming back to the Phoenix market when rent to purchase ratios are better.

I have also had a lot of trouble finding anything close to the 1% rule. I currently have one that I picked up 6 months ago but it's because I got a steal on the house. Purchased for $90,000, Put $20,000 into rehab ($110,000 invested but recently appraised for $165,000). Rented it out for $1,100/ Month on a 12 month lease. I want to purchase more rentals but the high sales prices & low rents has me focusing on fix/flips right now. 

I agree with @Eric Delcol and @Clayton Coombs . Tampa is still running in an appreciable market. I have Investors from all over the country contacting me for properties which I’m happy to report, I have have been able to help.  It is still lower than the highest in 2007 and still has lots of opportunities. 

The 1% rule (or 2% rule, which is also floating around BP) was created for mobile home parks and storage facilities.   FYI.

It doesn't usually translate to SFR or MF.

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.

By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.