• Houston, TX
Votes |
Repair quotes by property manager seem extremely high

Roi C.
  • Investor
  • Houston, TX
Posted Sep 7 2018, 15:45

Hi,

We own a few single-family properties in the Phoenix area and they are all managed by the same property manager for many years now.

Since these houses aged a little bit and have normal wear and tear it's time to make some larger repairs, such as replacing rotted siding panels, fascia/soffit boards,  support columns in the patio, fixture replacements etc...

For years our property manager pretty much handled all of this, but it seems to me that the quotes we've been getting recently are overblown. I typically demand that the invoices that are forwarded to us by the PM's contractors are broken down into labor and materials, and based on my estimates they typically charge a labor price that would be equivalent to around $90-$100 an hour.

I would like to ask the people here who have experience with rehab or construction in Phoenix, what is a normal price to pay (per hour / per day) for a general handyman that is not necessarily specialized in anything structural or electric / plumbing. I'm mainly talking about routine maintenance and minor tasks like painting, replacing boards, caulking, replacing fixtures etc...

Also, I would like to get your opinion if you think that a licensed contractor is required for these smaller tasks, or should I  go with a cheaper contractor that is not necessarily licensed?

I do however want to point out that our PM only uses licensed contractors, which is understandable because she has to cover herself in case there is an issue. This creates some situations where a licensed roofing company will end up taking care of a fascia board replacement and painting, which can be done by someone else for probably much less.

Thank you very much in advance to anyone who is willing to share some of his/her experience or knowledge!

Loading replies...