Skip to content
Phoenix Real Estate Forum

User Stats

Votes
Dalton Riep
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Scottsdale, AZ
Votes |
Are there ways around the down payment for house hacking / brrrr?

Dalton Riep
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Scottsdale, AZ
Posted May 29 2019, 21:25

Hello everyone!

I am a college student trying to house-hack or do a brrrr property in Phoenix, but as a college student, I don't have a big enough down payment (Only about $2,000). Are there any ways around this??? Lenders keep giving me mixed answers on grants and down payment assistance. Also, does rental income only count if it is a 3-plex / 4-plex or can I count rental income if I plan to rent out rooms in a single-family home?

User Stats

Votes
John Warren
  • Real Estate Broker
  • 1658 N. Milwaukee Ave Ste B PMP 18969 Chicago, IL 60647
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • 1658 N. Milwaukee Ave Ste B PMP 18969 Chicago, IL 60647
Replied May 30 2019, 03:33

@Dalton Riep while it is admirable that you want to get started, I would recommend waiting until you can get the funds together. House hacking is already a bit of a cheat code as it allows you to come to the table with way less than normal, and if you can't scrape together 3.5% down what will you do when the furnace goes out, a pipe bursts, etc. 

Pick up an extra job, start a side hustle, and save, save, save. 

• Real Estate Agent IL (#475.166619)

Forte Properties, Inc Logo

User Stats

Votes
Bob Okenwa
  • Real Estate Agent/Investor
  • Peoria, AZ
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent/Investor
  • Peoria, AZ
Replied May 30 2019, 04:39

@Dalton Riep

What kind of mixed answers are you getting in regards to DPA? There are many programs available in Phoenix that should be able to help you.

Not sure if an SFR you occupy and rent out individual rooms will count towards rental income or not. You should speak with a lender about this.

Vacasa logo
Vacasa
|
Sponsored
We do the work. You get the ROI. We do it all for your vacation rental. All—marketing, pricing, guest requests, housekeeping & more.

User Stats

Votes
Jay Hinrichs#2 All Forums Contributor
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Lake Oswego OR Summerlin, NV
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Lake Oswego OR Summerlin, NV
Replied May 30 2019, 06:21

your way undercapitalized to be buying any kind of real estate. And the lenders know it.. 

you need to have down payment and reserve funds.. real estate is not a no money gig..

User Stats

Votes
Wes Blackwell
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Phoenix, AZ
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Phoenix, AZ
Replied May 30 2019, 15:24

@Dalton Riep

The main issue you have here is income (lack of it due to college hours, still working on degree to get higher paying job, and not able to save up down payment, perhaps not enough work history, etc.)

So, how could you fix that? With a co-signer.

Perhaps one of your parents, uncles, cousins, etc. can go in on this deal with you. They provide the missing funds from down payment and use their income to help you qualify for the loan, and get a proportionate amount of the proceeds when you sell. 

Barring that, just about the only option you have is seller-financing, but be sure you know what you're doing... and you'll still have the down payment issue as you'll have to find the right seller willing to work with you. 

Have a client right now who would like to buy a home, but is self-employed and less than a year into his new business so he can't get a loan. His dad is going to co-sign with him so he can. Perhaps you can too.

• Real Estate Agent CA (#01991457) and AZ (#SA674470000)

Blackwell Home Team Logo

User Stats

Votes
Theresa Harris
Pro Member
#3 Managing Your Property Contributor
Votes |
Pro Member
#3 Managing Your Property Contributor
Replied May 30 2019, 15:30

It is great that you have saved $2K.   As others said, you need more than that for a down payment even if you are going to rent out rooms.  Also what happens if something breaks and needs to get fixed, will you have money for that?  Keep saving and tell your family you'd rather get cash than gifts for your birthday and Christmas.

User Stats

Votes
Dalton Riep
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Scottsdale, AZ
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Scottsdale, AZ
Replied May 30 2019, 18:11

Thank you everyone for the advise! I thought that might be the case. I will focus on continuing to learn for a few months. Should have about $5,000 saved by new years 👌

User Stats

Votes
Craig Jeppesen
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Chubbuck, ID
Votes |
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Chubbuck, ID
Replied May 30 2019, 18:30
Originally posted by @Dalton Riep:

Thank you everyone for the advise! I thought that might be the case. I will focus on continuing to learn for a few months. Should have about $5,000 saved by new years 👌

Get that up to $20 k and you will become a successful investor in the long run.