Hi,
As mentioned above, my dad's neighbor bought a place downtown and is looking to offload the property. I naturally raised my hand as interested but don't have the cash to buy it outright (this would be my first rental). Anyone have any recommendations on creative ways to solve this that they have done in the past? I have heard some people talk about assuming their loan but no idea how that works exactly.
Thanks in advance!
Gabe
@KC Pake made an excellent set of options. Nicely done.
I have found tired landlords who have paid off their properties; I found them by riding my bike in my neighborhood and striking up a conversation. They want a lump sum for a part of their equity, and also to get monthly payments. I pay 6% interest only on my mortgages to them, for a 5 year period of time.
The other side of this is what THEY want and get. They don't pay taxes on the part of the sale they don't receive. They get their money over time and therefore pay taxes on the gain over time.
Hi,
As mentioned above, my dad's neighbor bought a place downtown and is looking to offload the property. I naturally raised my hand as interested but don't have the cash to buy it outright (this would be my first rental). Anyone have any recommendations on creative ways to solve this that they have done in the past? I have heard some people talk about assuming their loan but no idea how that works exactly.
Thanks in advance!
Gabe
@KC Pake made an excellent set of options. Nicely done.
I have found tired landlords who have paid off their properties; I found them by riding my bike in my neighborhood and striking up a conversation. They want a lump sum for a part of their equity, and also to get monthly payments. I pay 6% interest only on my mortgages to them, for a 5 year period of time.
The other side of this is what THEY want and get. They don't pay taxes on the part of the sale they don't receive. They get their money over time and therefore pay taxes on the gain over time.
.
The easiest way would be if you have 25% to put down and do a regular Fannie/Freddie loan.
You also need to convince an owner to pretty much underwrite you. Getting seller finance is incredibly hard, but a viable option. As someone who gets offered seller finance for the houses I buy and someone wants me to re-sell it, I just laugh. Not a chance in hell.
Is the property Free and Clear or it has an existing loan?
Hi,
As mentioned above, my dad's neighbor bought a place downtown and is looking to offload the property. I naturally raised my hand as interested but don't have the cash to buy it outright (this would be my first rental). Anyone have any recommendations on creative ways to solve this that they have done in the past? I have heard some people talk about assuming their loan but no idea how that works exactly.
Thanks in advance!
Gabe
KC,
Thank you very much for the reply. This helps immensely in terms of 'tools in the toolbox'. Question:
If doing loan assumption; how does that work? Lets say they are 50k in to a 200k loan. If I were to take over at the 50k mark does that mean I need to pay them the 50k as a 'down payment' and then just pay the bank? Does the title get signed over at the time of assumption? that seems like a big liability otherwise. In the case of the 50k being paid off by them already, would another option be I pay the bank and then pay an extra X payment to them per month to recoup that? or is it all done through a different means?
Hi,
As mentioned above, my dad's neighbor bought a place downtown and is looking to offload the property. I naturally raised my hand as interested but don't have the cash to buy it outright (this would be my first rental). Anyone have any recommendations on creative ways to solve this that they have done in the past? I have heard some people talk about assuming their loan but no idea how that works exactly.
Thanks in advance!
Gabe
Hi KC,
Great feedback! I was curious as to the Property Management option. Can you talk a bit more about this? For instance, I'm under the impression that the key areas of management for the rental property should be at least an ability to provide ongoing maintenance and cleaning. Not to mention landscaping, pest control and other standard monthly expenses tenants have.
How would you recommend someone just getting started getting involved in property management, even if the partner has the financial resources/capital. For instance, I believe property management companies generally charge a fee, although this can vary, of a percentage of the monthly rents from the property. i.e. 1-3% of the rent.
If you're getting started, how would you cover the standard fees that it generally takes to manage the property (i.e. maintenance, landscaping, showings) without a staff. Is this something the partner/investor could cover?
Hi,
As mentioned above, my dad's neighbor bought a place downtown and is looking to offload the property. I naturally raised my hand as interested but don't have the cash to buy it outright (this would be my first rental). Anyone have any recommendations on creative ways to solve this that they have done in the past? I have heard some people talk about assuming their loan but no idea how that works exactly.
Thanks in advance!
Gabe
Hi,
As mentioned above, my dad's neighbor bought a place downtown and is looking to offload the property. I naturally raised my hand as interested but don't have the cash to buy it outright (this would be my first rental). Anyone have any recommendations on creative ways to solve this that they have done in the past? I have heard some people talk about assuming their loan but no idea how that works exactly.
Thanks in advance!
Gabe
KC,
Thank you very much for the reply. This helps immensely in terms of 'tools in the toolbox'. Question:
If doing loan assumption; how does that work? Lets say they are 50k in to a 200k loan. If I were to take over at the 50k mark does that mean I need to pay them the 50k as a 'down payment' and then just pay the bank? Does the title get signed over at the time of assumption? that seems like a big liability otherwise. In the case of the 50k being paid off by them already, would another option be I pay the bank and then pay an extra X payment to them per month to recoup that? or is it all done through a different means?
Assuming the loan is not a FHA, VA or USDA it will not likely be assumable.
Is the property Free and Clear or it has an existing loan?
I am unsure - May be free and clear as they received it as an inheritance
@Don Konipol Thank you. That is extremely helpful
Hi,
As mentioned above, my dad's neighbor bought a place downtown and is looking to offload the property. I naturally raised my hand as interested but don't have the cash to buy it outright (this would be my first rental). Anyone have any recommendations on creative ways to solve this that they have done in the past? I have heard some people talk about assuming their loan but no idea how that works exactly.
Thanks in advance!
Gabe
KC,
Thank you very much for the reply. This helps immensely in terms of 'tools in the toolbox'. Question:
If doing loan assumption; how does that work? Lets say they are 50k in to a 200k loan. If I were to take over at the 50k mark does that mean I need to pay them the 50k as a 'down payment' and then just pay the bank? Does the title get signed over at the time of assumption? that seems like a big liability otherwise. In the case of the 50k being paid off by them already, would another option be I pay the bank and then pay an extra X payment to them per month to recoup that? or is it all done through a different means?
The seller is going to want to get the majority of their equity out of the project at sale. The Deed will record to you at sale, subject still to the existing Deed of Trust for their existing finances. To come up with the money due at sale you might have to combine resources with others or take on a purely financial partner. You'll have to carefully examine all of the numbers to see if putting a deal together is a profitable endeavor.
Hi,
As mentioned above, my dad's neighbor bought a place downtown and is looking to offload the property. I naturally raised my hand as interested but don't have the cash to buy it outright (this would be my first rental). Anyone have any recommendations on creative ways to solve this that they have done in the past? I have heard some people talk about assuming their loan but no idea how that works exactly.
Thanks in advance!
Gabe
KC,
Thank you very much for the reply. This helps immensely in terms of 'tools in the toolbox'. Question:
If doing loan assumption; how does that work? Lets say they are 50k in to a 200k loan. If I were to take over at the 50k mark does that mean I need to pay them the 50k as a 'down payment' and then just pay the bank? Does the title get signed over at the time of assumption? that seems like a big liability otherwise. In the case of the 50k being paid off by them already, would another option be I pay the bank and then pay an extra X payment to them per month to recoup that? or is it all done through a different means?
The seller is going to want to get the majority of their equity out of the project at sale. The Deed will record to you at sale, subject still to the existing Deed of Trust for their existing finances. To come up with the money due at sale you might have to combine resources with others or take on a purely financial partner. You'll have to carefully examine all of the numbers to see if putting a deal together is a profitable endeavor.
That helps clarify, thank you
@Gabriel Jordan - does the property need any rehab? Would rehabbing add to the value? If the seller owns it free and clear you can propose to partner on the deal. They hold financing on the property. You pay them a set amount per month for a designated time period (say 12 months). You pay for the rehab and then when it's done, you either flip it or keep it as a rental and pay them off plus a percentage of the profit. You can get into a property on the cheap and they can make a higher profit in the end. You can also have the monthly payments deferred to the end. Lots of ways to make it happen if they are open to the idea.
@Salvatore Lentini They do not own it free and clear. They got it from an inheritance a few years ago. I like where your head is at though. I am going to go see it as it has been a few years. I want to say overall its in good condition but would likely take 3-5k to get spruced up.