Selling shares of property possible?

1 Reply

An idea popped into my head today and I don’t know if it’s possible or feasible.

Hypothetical situation. You own a property with a mortgage. Bought for $100K with $25k down. Before taxes, it cash flows $7.5K. It's held in an LLC where you are the only owner. Could you sell interest in the LLC where the investor would not be responsible for any debt? Could you sell $10k worth of interest but only give $1.5k of the cash flow? Lastly, could the $10k investment be an unapportionable share of the LLC?

I basically want to sell a share of my properties but not dollar for dollar. It would still be a good deal for the investor, 15% return on their cash ($1.5K/$10K). I would also not want them to get a full $10k of the equity in the property. In this example I would like to have the $10k equal to 20% of the equity, or $5K. Would there be any tax implications?

@Paul Garcia , did you ever get an answer to this question elsewhere?  I'm wondering something similar.  We have someone interested in investing with us as a silent partner and we'd pay them a % return on their money but want to avoid the whole bit about 2nd liens on property, etc.  Could they just buy a share of the company that paid a set dividend under pre-established terms?  This is the question we're trying to answer.  Curious if  you've discovered anything along these lines.  Thanks!

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here