Skip to content
Innovative Strategies

User Stats

Votes
Deborah Squibb
  • Reno, NV
Votes |
Niche as marketer for real estate - how to structure the deals legally?

Deborah Squibb
  • Reno, NV
Posted Jun 22 2015, 17:42

I own and operate an internet advertising agency and I think I see a niche where my agency's skills could be profitably employed. 

I've seen a few properties in my area that I think may be under-priced relative to the value they would have if they were promoted more effectively to the right buyers. I believe I know how to do this and I'm confident enough to spend my own money on the advertising in hopes of making a return.

What I'd like to do is take a property that I think exceptional and that we can market successfully, and receive a commission or markup when it sells. 

I know real estate is highly regulated and I don't want to end up in trouble for practicing RE without a license, as happened here:  http://www.biggerpockets.com/forums/93/topics/1847...

What sort of deal would be reasonable to propose to the real estate agent handling the sale, or to the owner? Are they legally allowed to pay a commission to a non-realtor? Is there any way I could market the property at a higher price than it is listed at and keep a portion of the difference?

I've been told that one way to accomplish this would be to buy an option on the property, but I'd like to find a way to test out my marketing ideas without having to invest in an option.

Any ideas and insights any of you more experienced folks could offer would be most appreciated.

Loading replies...