What sales price goes on a deed for a Sub2 transaction?

What sales price goes on a deed for a Sub2 transaction?

Residential Real Estate Agent · Mc Keesport, PA · Member since 2012 · 449 posts · 154 votes

I am working on a Subject-to deal and wanted to know how much transfer tax I'd pay on the deal. Of course, this depends on the purchase price. But on a Sub2 deal, what goes on the deed at the purchase price? My initial thought is that it would be the loan balance. Is this correct?

0Reply
4 views

Most Popular Reply

Rental Property Investor · Gambrills, MD · Member since 2014 · 372 posts · 88 votes
10y

I don't know about Pennsylvania, but I know Maryland says you have to include the value of the debt.

See this reply in the discussion

6 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Gambrills, MD · Member since 2014 · 372 posts · 88 votes
    10y

    I don't know about Pennsylvania, but I know Maryland says you have to include the value of the debt.

  • Investor, Entrepreneur, Educator · Springfield, MO · Member since 2009 · 21k+ posts · 12k+ votes
    10y

    @Steve Babiak probably knows PA tax requirements.

    I'll bet it is the full purchase price as amounts financed are irrelevant to a sale price.....I know, your hopes crushed again. 

    And, unless there is a requirement by law to describe a sale price on a deed of conveyance, prices generally aren't shown. But your closing docs will show the price as well as tax filings. 

    Do not attempt to close a Sub-To or any acquisition yourself, that's deep stuff you'll get into now, Good luck :)

  • Real Estate Investor · Audubon, PA · Member since 2009 · 13k+ posts · 8k+ votes
    10y

    Look at example 1 under section 91.132, since a subject to is like an assumption for the purposes of setting transfer taxes due:

    http://www.pabulletin.com/secure/data/vol41/41-47/...

  • Real Estate Investor · Audubon, PA · Member since 2009 · 13k+ posts · 8k+ votes
    10y

    Section D of this form to be completed has some instructions:

    http://www.revenue.pa.gov/FormsandPublications/For...

  • Residential Real Estate Agent · Mc Keesport, PA · Member since 2012 · 449 posts · 154 votes
    10y

    Thanks guys! @Steve Babiak The seller doesn't want anything for the property - she is okay with us just taking over the payments. So am I reading correctly that the transaction would be done with a $1 sale on the deed and a statement of value submitted when the deed is recorded with the loan amount as the value? 

  • Real Estate Investor · Audubon, PA · Member since 2009 · 13k+ posts · 8k+ votes
    10y

    It's not a one dollar sale - you are paying the principal balance. So that is the sale amount. The fact that you are not creating a new loan does not change the dollar amount of the sale. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.