Investor with a disability

12 Replies

Hi All,

I was born with a disability (cerebral palsy). Unfortunately, sometimes I get judged when I talk to people on the phone for the first time.

I was wondering is it common practice if I instruct potential sellers from my direct mail marketing and Craigslist ad to call / talk to my agent instead of me?

Is it reasonable for me to instruct my agent to do the cold calls of vacant owners for me?

Thank you,

Jason  

Jason,

It isn't reasonable for your agent to call on your behalf. 

My suggestion is to have someone cold call for you, and take your calls. That way, you have some time to write down what you want to say when you call them back, and you are in control of the conversation. 

Hope that helps.

Good Luck!

@Jason Ma

Funneling potential leads is a crucial function in your pipelinle. Using an agent might work if you plan on using them to do all the contracts but that is a large % to give away on all your deals but might make sense if they are a true partner on your team. Or you could consider a call center like Pat Live to field your incoming leads. 

Instructing an agent to do cold calls might not bring the results you seek because most people struggle with cold calls and do not have the skillset of learning how to listen for signs of distress and motivation. 

Originally posted by @Ray Lai :

@Jason Ma

Funneling potential leads is a crucial function in your pipelinle. Using an agent might work if you plan on using them to do all the contracts but that is a large % to give away on all your deals but might make sense if they are a true partner on your team. Or you could consider a call center like Pat Live to field your incoming leads. 

Instructing an agent to do cold calls might not bring the results you seek because most people struggle with cold calls and do not have the skillset of learning how to listen for signs of distress and motivation. 

Have you ever used a call center or do you know someone who used a call center/? Is it costly?

Originally posted by @James C.:

Jason,

It isn't reasonable for your agent to call on your behalf. 

My suggestion is to have someone cold call for you, and take your calls. That way, you have some time to write down what you want to say when you call them back, and you are in control of the conversation. 

Hope that helps.

Good Luck!

Thank you. Are you suggesting I use a call center like the person below is??

Jason,

You could use a call center. There are also individuals who do cold calling for you. If you look at places like upwork you can find them.

Alot depends on what volume of call you can expect,  and what your scripts look like.  If you need some assistance with writing scrips for calls, a call center may have more resources than an individual. 

Hope that helps.

Good luck, 

Jim 

This post has been removed.

@Jason Ma

Negative, would not use a call center because skill in listening for distress and motivation while building rapport with sellers and helping them solve problems by communicating key information is crucial and greatly amps up your conversion rate so I wouldn't outsource this function personally. 

Do you have anyone you personally know that has the time to answer calls and would be part of your team starting off? Going to a call-center from the get-go is outsourcing a vital function without doing in-house first. Makes sense if you know what you're doing and have scaled up but your condition sounds difficult to talk to sellers so creative thinking may be in order? 

Also, I'm a big advocate of bootstrapping when you start off and keeping costs low and then outsourcing low value added activities first, not the high value ones that you should spend your attention on.

@Jason Ma

Negative, would not use a call center because skill in listening for distress and motivation while building rapport with sellers and helping them solve problems by communicating key information is crucial and greatly amps up your conversion rate so I wouldn't outsource this function personally. 

Do you have anyone you personally know that has the time to answer calls and would be part of your team starting off? Going to a call-center from the get-go is outsourcing a vital function without doing in-house first. Makes sense if you know what you're doing and have scaled up but your condition sounds difficult to talk to sellers so creative thinking may be in order? 

Also, I'm a big advocate of bootstrapping when you start off and keeping costs low and then outsourcing low value added activities first, not the high value ones that you should spend your attention on.

Nobody really comes to my head. My mom is to scared to call people and would want to d o things her way. Should I try calling myself even with speech impediment ?

Originally posted by @Jason Ma :
Originally posted by @Ray Lai:

@Jason Ma

Nobody really comes to my head. My mom is to scared to call people and would want to d o things her way. Should I try calling myself even with speech impediment ?

This is a tough one because I don't know anyone with your condition. What I can say is that I can send you all the best scripts I have and you can take a look at them and ask me any questions you want and I'm happy to help you. Then you can decide whether you are up for trying to talk to people / practice (call some Craigslist ads). If you can't do it but learn how to do it, you may be able to train someone you trust to do it on your behalf. Or you can leave this part of the supply chain and work on something like rehabing and picking up deals from a solid wholesaler or other means. Up to you many options. It's good to play to our strengths and acknowledge our own weaknesses. Shoot me a msg if you want scripts and any help.

Thank you can you send me the scripts please? After a couple of weeks of practicing the scripts can I practice them on you over the phone for feedback? Thank you again for helping me.

Originally posted by @Jason Ma:
Originally posted by @Ray Lai:

@Jason Ma

This is a tough one because I don't know anyone with your condition. What I can say is that I can send you all the best scripts I have and you can take a look at them and ask me any questions you want and I'm happy to help you. Then you can decide whether you are up for trying to talk to people / practice (call some Craigslist ads). If you can't do it but learn how to do it, you may be able to train someone you trust to do it on your behalf. Or you can leave this part of the supply chain and work on something like rehabing and picking up deals from a solid wholesaler or other means. Up to you many options. It's good to play to our strengths and acknowledge our own weaknesses. Shoot me a msg if you want scripts and any help.

@Jason Ma I applaud you for not letting your disability hinder your goals!  Just remember everyone has strengths and weaknesses, capitalize on your strengths.  I used to hate presenting in college; I'm an introvert and much rather not have everyone's eyes on me while I'm talking.  One day though, I had a break through: familiarizing myself with the material I was presenting to a point where I knew the subject thoroughly.  Every time I presented, I aimed to be the authority on the subject so that I didn't stumble over my own words and no questions would catch me off guard.  It got to the point where I actually enjoyed giving presentations!  Think this could be key for you.  I believe if you study and practice cold calling (with people you know), you will be able to overcome your speech impediment because you become comfortable with the subject and how you run your business.  

Wishing you all the best!  Please keep us posted regarding your progress.  I'm inspired by your determination to go after your goals and am sure others in this community will be just as inspired and find themselves cheering for you from their computers.

Thank you and happy holidays!

Originally posted by @Stephanie D. :

@Jason Ma I applaud you for not letting your disability hinder your goals!  Just remember everyone has strengths and weaknesses, capitalize on your strengths.  I used to hate presenting in college; I'm an introvert and much rather not have everyone's eyes on me while I'm talking.  One day though, I had a break through: familiarizing myself with the material I was presenting to a point where I knew the subject thoroughly.  Every time I presented, I aimed to be the authority on the subject so that I didn't stumble over my own words and no questions would catch me off guard.  It got to the point where I actually enjoyed giving presentations!  Think this could be key for you.  I believe if you study and practice cold calling (with people you know), you will be able to overcome your speech impediment because you become comfortable with the subject and how you run your business.  

Wishing you all the best!  Please keep us posted regarding your progress.  I'm inspired by your determination to go after your goals and am sure others in this community will be just as inspired and find themselves cheering for you from their computers.

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.