Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Innovative Strategies
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Jon Passow
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Cleveland, OH
Votes |
Robert Kiyosaki's Courthouse 2-Step

Jon Passow
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Cleveland, OH
Posted Apr 17 2018, 10:14

I've been working on ways to start the ball rolling for my real estate business (money-wise) and I came across what I think is the perfect fit for me to get funds quickly to start BRRR-ing. In Robert Kiyosaki's "Rich Dad Poor Dad", he writes:

“I began shopping at the bankruptcy attorney’s office or the courthouse steps. In these shopping places, a $75,000 house could sometimes be bought for $20,000 or less. For $2,000 which was loaned to me from a friend for 90 days for $200, I gave an attorney a cashier's check as a down payment. While the acquisition was being processed, I ran an ad advertising a $75,000 home for $60,000 and no money down. The phone rang hard and heavy. Prospective buyers were screened and once the property was legally mine, all the prospective buyers were allowed to look at the house. It was a feeding frenzy. The house sold in a few minutes. I asked for a $2,500 processing fee, which was gladly handed over, and the escrow and title company took over from there. I returned the $2,000 to my friend with an additional $200. He was happy, the attorney was happy, and I was happy. I had sold a house for $60,000 that cost $20,000. The $40,000 was created from money in my asset column in the form of a promissory note from the buyer. Total working time: five hours.”

I'll call this the Kiyosaki Courthouse 2-Step for ease of reference. Does anyone have experience or advice with this sort of thing? Does this still work or have there been changes in the law around this?

I am a little confused on a few things. Robert put $2,000 down then says “when the house was legally his...”, wouldn't he have to pay the attorney the additional $18,000 to actually own the house before selling it, or did he secure a payment plan or loan for the rest, then sold the house and payed off all monies owed? Also, he talks about a promissory note. How does he create the money to pay off the $20k to the attorney/bank during the time of holding the note (30 years in his words)?

Loading replies...