Should I do private money or get a regular loan for a deal?

Should I do private money or get a regular loan for a deal?

Jefferson Cty, MO · Member since 2017 · 28 posts · 11 votes
I have been thinking of ways to jump in and get started. Should I seek out private money and face high rates or should I save money for a regular home loan instead? I have been studying different strategies and feel like I’m comfortable with my choice. Any advice would be great!
0Reply
10 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor/Accountant/Builder · Meno, OK · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 918 votes
8y

I suggest you save some money, and buy a cheap house for cash, fix it up and get it rented. Then cash out refinance on the rental and buy 2 more cheap houses. Repeat many times.

See this reply in the discussion

6 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor/Accountant/Builder · Meno, OK · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 918 votes
    8y

    I suggest you save some money, and buy a cheap house for cash, fix it up and get it rented. Then cash out refinance on the rental and buy 2 more cheap houses. Repeat many times.

  • Winter Garden, FL · Member since 2018 · 63 posts · 145 votes
    8y

    A conventional mortgage will typically need 20% down. If you owner occupy you can get 3 or 3.5% down which makes this a good option if you can get a multifamily that you'd be willing to live in for a year and rent out the other units. The hard money lenders I've talked to will typically finance 75% of the loan plus rehab of your first deal. Once you build a relationship with them through multiple loans they'll increase the percentage up to the full amount.  Private money will have more flexibility but at a cost. You'll also need to gain their trust which will be difficult if you don't have a track record and aren't putting much of your own money in the deal.

  • Investor · Arlington, VA · Member since 2012 · 1k+ posts · 491 votes
    8y

    I would start with an owner-occupied property.  House hack it to significanlty reduce your monthly expenses.  Save up and by an exclusive rental property.  Rinse and repeat, and refinance to pull money out as you can.  Happy investing!

  • Jefferson Cty, MO · Member since 2017 · 28 posts · 11 votes
    8y
    @Arlan Potter that’s brilliant idea! Thank you!
  • Jefferson Cty, MO · Member since 2017 · 28 posts · 11 votes
    8y
    @James Roberts I appreciate the feedback man. Just trying to get an idea of which route works best for me.
  • Jefferson Cty, MO · Member since 2017 · 28 posts · 11 votes
    8y
    @Frankie Woods thank you very much. I am thinking about house hacking on a multi family.
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.