Going international, Sydney Australia

7 Replies

With the US prices being so high, has anyone thought of investing in markets that are tanking like Sydney?  I understand it will be a long game and you will need to rely on some firms to help with this.  The more I think about it, I am starting to think there might be a play there as USD is so strong compare to AUD.  Their prices are very low and it is such a great city to be in.   Anyone have any thoughts or recommendation?

I did more research, they have made more obstacles to purchase in Sydney for foreigners (no exceptions for Americans).   It's probably not worth it at this point unless I can buy it in cash

Originally posted by @Tom Makinen :

With the US prices being so high, has anyone thought of investing in markets that are tanking like Sydney?  I understand it will be a long game and you will need to rely on some firms to help with this.  The more I think about it, I am starting to think there might be a play there as USD is so strong compare to AUD.  Their prices are very low and it is such a great city to be in.   Anyone have any thoughts or recommendation?

I am an Australian investor but been investing in both markets

I think median house price of Sydney is $1M last time I looked

Rules apply for foreigners buying in Australia, its not same as in US where anyone can buy if they have the cash

You wont come close to buying cashflow properties unless you go regional centre?? which I would not recommend

Don't want to rain on your parade but now is the wrong time to buy in Australia as most markets in Australia are falling

I believe 1m in AUD is like 680000, which is not bad for a major city.  Still, probably not worth it if I have to sock away that much money in cash for it.  Just think about how the exchange rate was nearly 1/1 several years ago.

I'm Australian and lived in Sydney for 7 years and Sydney is more overpriced than practically the whole US. Also, the Australian dollar might not significantly go up against the US dollar anytime soon.

It makes sense to invest internationally to avoid overpriced markets and this is what I'm doing. But then I invest in areas that are not overpriced and more profitable like Mexico, the Caribbean, Central America, South America and Southern Europe.

Bringing this back up since AUD dropped further to .55.  It's like everyone is at 40% off!  Anyway Sydney is still out of question, but Melbourne and Adelaide might be two places that are attraction given the price.  It is still a risky and crazy bet given how terrible their economy is, but it's fun to diversify right.  I think to get around the foreigner restriction, it would have to be a brand new unit.