Help me decide whether to add a bedroom/Bathroom, 1200 sq ft!

Help me decide whether to add a bedroom/Bathroom, 1200 sq ft!

Carlsbad, NM · Member since 2017 · 40 posts · 10 votes

This is my second brrrr, assuming it works out. I bought this house for 84k "cash"- personal loan.The problem is ARV, I've gotten different realtor opinions, but prices in my area have shot up in the last 2 years due to oil/gas, and prices are all over the place. It doesn't help that this house is a rare 2/1. There just aren't many comps. But i think the ARV will be between 120 and 150k, and I've already spent about 10k on roof replacement, soon will be spending another 5k to tile floors, refinish hardwoods, and paint. There is also the option of turning the dining room into a bedroom/office, and still leave a little nook for a dinette area. Then could add a half bath to the laundry room...Making the house a 3/1.5. It's a slightly weird layout to have the bathroom in the laundry room but there really wasn't any other good options. The additional cost will be about $8k, plus the additional cost of an extra month of lost income (rent will be about 2k, maybe 3k if I do an airbnb with it) and expenses (the personal loan payment is $900/month). So additional expenses to make it a 3/2 add up to about 11-12k. ARV as a 3/2 I think is more like 160k, and there more comps for those. That said, the market here is HOT and I will have no problem getting it rented as just a 2/1, and it likely won't change the rent price or cashflow that significantly- maybe an extra 200 a month. Basically, is adding a bedroom and bathroom as mostly a play for the BRRRR refinance aspect worth it? It feels more risky to me, and right now when I feel like I'm just hemorrhaging money into this house, I'm really leaning towards just getting it painted and floors done and start making money, as opposed to starting what feels like a major project with less of an obvious payoff (and I won't know if it pays off until 6 months from now when I can refi). Please help me decide what to do.

0Reply
14 views

4 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Olympia, WA · Member since 2012 · 543 posts · 311 votes
    7y

    Using your own figures, spending $12,000 to create a half bath and extra small bedroom is likely to yield $200/mo in additional rent ($2400/yr). The result of adding the half bath and extra bedroom is a 5 year pay off which = 14% ROI. Doing the remodel is worthwhile for that reason alone. 14% is a very decent return.

    More important, your remodel will, upon completion, immediately increase your equity by $25,000 (Middle guess $135,000 without remodel vs $160,000 after).   Thus, doing the remodel yields greater than 200% on a half year investment, plus the extra $200/mo in cash flow = > 214%/year return.  

    The only question is whether you have another project in view that will more than double your investment in 6 months?  If  there is such a better opportunity take it.  If not, work the one you have now to its fullest advantage.  Do the remodel.  Stay focused.  Keep finishes appropriate and complete it ASAP.

  • Ken B.Pro Member
    yucca valley, CA · Member since 2015 · 75 posts · 33 votes
    7y

    @Janelle Hicks

    If you're able to add drywall, door, and a closet thats cheap. If electric and plumbing are already in place it's totally worth it, plus its 1200 sq. '. It'll definitely improve ARV and rent will go up. I'd definitely make it a 3/1.5.

  • Carlsbad, NM · Member since 2017 · 40 posts · 10 votes
    7y

    Thank you guys. Decided to do it...fingers crossed it all works out, I'm a bit nervous.

  • Investor · Greenville, SC · Member since 2017 · 69 posts · 15 votes
    7y

    Keep us all updated. Let us know how the refi goes!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.