Direct mail best practices for a licensed real estate investor

Direct mail best practices for a licensed real estate investor

Rental Property Investor · Raleigh, NC · Member since 2018 · 5 posts · 3 votes

Hi all,

I am an investor who has a real estate license in NC. I am considering doing a direct mail campaign to continue to build my portfolio.

I am in a dilemma - I was wondering if people in this situation market themselves as both investors and realtors. While my primary focus is to grow my portfolio, I want to make the best use of the leads I don’t pursue (ones that don’t have equity) and collect referral fees on them by referring the sellers to other agents in my firm.

I was wondering if anyone has done this successfully and legally. There is always an issue of conflict of interest, so how does one get around being an investor and realtor both?

Also, do you have any sample mailers that you can share?

Thanks a lot,

Mehul.

1Reply
37 views

Most Popular Reply

Lender · Saint Louis, MO · Member since 2017 · 63 posts · 38 votes
5y

I agree with what @Jesse Canady said. You need to disclose that you are an agent. 

Once you get face to face with them, you can use it to your advantage and let them know about the standards you need to maintain when dealing with sellers. Once you have that script down, it should help you stand out from investors without their licenses. 

See this reply in the discussion

4 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Specialist · 06511 · Member since 2017 · 19 posts · 5 votes
    5y

    when i want a property, I say I'm the end buyer. if i'm not sure i just say ill get you a good deal...

  • Jesse CanadyPro Member
    Real Estate Broker · Wilmington, NC · Member since 2017 · 51 posts · 28 votes
    5y

    Mehul,

    The last thing you want is the commission coming after you because you did not disclose up front that you have your license. You can market it as you want to get the property sold (whether it is to you or to a different buyer) but if they find out you have your license after the fact, that may warrant a consumer complaint. 

    Best of luck! - Jesse

  • Rental Property Investor · Raleigh, NC · Member since 2018 · 5 posts · 3 votes
    5y

    Thank you all!

  • Lender · Saint Louis, MO · Member since 2017 · 63 posts · 38 votes
    5y

    I agree with what @Jesse Canady said. You need to disclose that you are an agent. 

    Once you get face to face with them, you can use it to your advantage and let them know about the standards you need to maintain when dealing with sellers. Once you have that script down, it should help you stand out from investors without their licenses. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.