Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Los Angeles County Real Estate Forum
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Nick Hedberg
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Venice, CA
Votes |
2020 ADU Laws - The end of Single Family Zoning

Nick Hedberg
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Venice, CA
Posted Feb 18 2020, 12:42

Hey BPers,

Some MASSIVE ADU changes came into effect on January 1st, 2020 in regards to ADUs. You can now add a Junior ADU (JADU) in addition to an ADU which means you can legally convert a single family home into a property with 3 units. The new laws also relaxed parking restrictions, setback easements, approval times and added ADU potential for multi-family properties. The state is mandating these changes and is removing a large degree of freedom from local zoning departments.

What do you think and are you taking advantage of these new laws?

Highlights:

• A 500 square foot junior ADU is now permitted as long as it's attached to a detached ADU or the primary residence. This effectively allows you to convert a home zoned as single family into a triplex.
  • ADUs can now be built on multifamily properties. You can convert garages and increase density up to 25%.
  • Local permitting agency must act on all ADU applications within 60 days (vs. 120)
  • HOAs and local CCRs cannot prevent you from building an ADU
  • Strikes restriction on owner-applicant for ADUs until 2025
  • No impact fees on ADUs under 750 SF.

I'm blown away with the breadth of these sweeping changes. Is anyone buying up multi-family properties with large garages?

This post is not intended as legal or zoning advice. Please consult your local zoning department.

Loading replies...