Building Duplex as ADU in Grandmothers Backyard - Possible?

6 Replies | Los Angeles County, California

Hey everyone,

My grandma currently lives in Van Nuys, CA and is in need of additional cash flow.

Due to the recent law and due to the extra space in her backyard, I want to build a Duplex (2 2-1's) in order to help with this. She has the equity in the house in order to take a line of credit or re-fi in order to get the construction loan and in my mind, if legally possible, it's a no brainer.

I used a tool called "Cover" which was looking to market to me for their services, but it did reveal that I can build up to a 1200 unit in our backyard.

Hoping I can get some insight here as I am just starting to learn more about REI and this particular application is slightly more complex.

Thanks

Due to the severe housing shortage in CA many communities are allowing ADU to be built. The state has put a limit on the square footage of 1200. It can be attached or detached. A duplex would not fit the criteria as I understand it. Also, you will need to check with the local building department to determine what the maximum lot coverage is, setbacks, etc. Also, cost of building permit, any other fees and charges required (it's California so hang on to your hat)

For me in Redding, CA, on a secondary building on my property that already is hooked up to septic, water, electric, was built with permits, I had to pay school fees (though it was a garage), it had a full bathroom and kitchen, the County required me to apply for a new building permit, redesign my septic, reduce the size of living space from 2500 sq. ft to 1200, and pay 8450 in impact fees (though there was zero impact to the County). Remember...it was already constructed, so with you, on top of any fees that are required, you still have to build the structure, so be sure to get plans and bids to know what all your costs will be. 

Below is the link for most information but definitely seek professional help being this project is no small task. Hope this helps!

http://planning.lacounty.gov/adu/

Originally posted by @Anthony Bertolino :

Hey everyone,

My grandma currently lives in Van Nuys, CA and is in need of additional cash flow.

Due to the recent law and due to the extra space in her backyard, I want to build a Duplex (2 2-1's) in order to help with this. She has the equity in the house in order to take a line of credit or re-fi in order to get the construction loan and in my mind, if legally possible, it's a no brainer.

I used a tool called "Cover" which was looking to market to me for their services, but it did reveal that I can build up to a 1200 unit in our backyard.

Hoping I can get some insight here as I am just starting to learn more about REI and this particular application is slightly more complex.

Thanks

If you don't want to trash grandma's home value, it would need to be formally rezoned into a triplex, or only build a single ADU.

Fannie will not lend on a SFR w/ 2 ADUs. Quickest way to kill a home's value is to do something that would prohibit buyers from getting a 30 year fixed rate mortgage on it.

Chris is very right here. Be careful you don’t do more harm than good. Something that may benefit you in the short term by increasing rental potential could harm your long run goals by killing your chances of appreciation because you broke a small lending rule you didn’t know about.

Regardless, I’d talk to a construction professional on the zoning, and a mortgage professional on the trivialities of the process.

I am located in Granada Hills and my mortgage and real estate brokerage is in downtown LA. Send any questions you may have over my way in a PM and I’ll see if I can be of any help.

Yes you can do up to 1200sf but just 1 ADU not 2 (unless you are talking about attached ADU to main house and calling it a duplex). As an Architect I have done 4 ADUs in Van Nuys so far. If you want me to take a look at what can be done, PM me your grandma's address. I will get back to you with more info specifically for your condition and my recomdation of what can be done along with a proposal to do all the plans and other city's red tape.

This is specifically for Los Angeles's

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&u...

Yes you can do up to 1200sf but just 1 ADU not 2 (unless you are talking about attached ADU to main house and calling it a duplex). As an Architect I have done 4 ADUs in Van Nuys so far. If you want me to take a look at what can be done, PM me your grandma's address. I will get back to you with more info specifically for your condition and my recomdation of what can be done along with a proposal to do all the plans and other city's red tape.

This is specifically for Los Angeles's

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&u...