How to get back my money from a fraud guy - Joshua Jackson

6 Replies

Hi BP,

I'm not the first person who has some serious problems with the same interior designer guy. His name is Joshua Jackson, he owns very small business - Joshua Jackson design in Los Angeles, I found him on Yelp. I hired him to do furniture for my new house, we did compose the contract with the total budget was $12,000 and given 1 month to finish, did ask him to sign it so many time, and he kept delaying didn't sign it. I really wanted to make my house to be done soon, so I transferred him $3,000 deposit as part of our agreement - the first payment. After that he brought some stuff to my house and total costed less than $600 like 2 full frame beds without headboard, 2 rugs and some small home decent stuff. That time was the last time I saw him, he was disappearing despite i was calling and texting him every day. He found so many reasons to excuse and blame for me. And the last text msg he said he won't return me money. This guy is fraud, after i did some research about him on google, he is very unprofessional and unethical. He has kept changing his account on Yelp and conducting very poor service, ripping off people, or taking money like my case.

What should i do in this situation to get back my money? taking him go to the claim court? is there anyone having experience in the same situation? I got only his passport, his phone and email and not sure the address on Yelp is real one or fake. 

Thanks in advance

@Ella Mai Hi Ella, Sorry you have had this experience. If you have all the proper information to take him to small claims it is likely the best route for any chance of getting your money back. It is no guarantee, especially if this person is hard to find/ has no assets. I understand no contract was signed, but if there is correspondence you can provide when going to court that show there were written agreements of service, and you paid him in a way you can track (PayPal, Check, etc and not cash) then you stand a chance in the argument. 

Small claims takes time, and doesn't always work out in our favors.. but if you believe your time is worth pursuing and you believe you have enough material to prove it then you can pursue. If he is a legit business I would also see if he exists on the BBB website and you can file a complaint there as well to help prevent other people from falling victim. 

@Ella Mai  
Like what @Nabil Suleiman said! However, maybe something to look into if he has insurance or bond under his license (if he has any type of license at all!?)
Furthermore, if you signed contract corporation to corporation, you may not able to go through small claim court yourself. You will need an attorney's presentation. Like what Nabil mentioned, you may not able to recoup your losses if he has no assets or trail of any assets.

If you signed the contract as an individual, you can get help from the city attorney when you file a lawsuit and present the case without attorney representation.

I hope that helps, good luck.

Originally posted by @Robert Chuang :

@Ella Mai 
Like what @Nabil Suleiman said! However, maybe something to look into if he has insurance or bond under his license (if he has any type of license at all!?)
Furthermore, if you signed contract corporation to corporation, you may not able to go through small claim court yourself. You will need an attorney's presentation. Like what Nabil mentioned, you may not able to recoup your losses if he has no assets or trail of any assets.

If you signed the contract as an individual, you can get help from the city attorney when you file a lawsuit and present the case without attorney representation.

I hope that helps, good luck.

I really do appreciate all you guys helps and advice, as  @Nabil Suleiman mentioned he has no assets that why he is desperate. My friend said in this situation can use social network to put pressure on him like exposing on Yelp, BP, facebook that can display on search result. I really hope I could help to prevent other ppl from falling victims 

If he has no assets(home, car, or money in the bank) it will be very hard to recoup. If you do take him to small claims court, he does not even have to show up and you could win by default. That will get you a judgement against him to recoup your loss. But that is where it gets tricky. That will be up to you in finding where he banks and banking info to put a lien on his account and have them withdraw anything he has in there to give to you. If he has a house under his name you can put a lien on it of your judgement amount. If you win the case your judgement will be good for 10 years and can extend another 10 years. good luck

@Ella Mai

I’m sorry to hear this happened to you.

I'm not sure of the laws in CA, but in VA you can file felony charges against him.

Unfortunately, I had an electrician steal $1,525 from me in May 2019. Finally, I pressed charges against him. The detective that’s been helping me has been a wealth of knowledge and a great resource. Message me your email and I’ll send you the information that I have on how the process works in Virginia.

In 2015, I had a concrete guy take $2000. We went to court and filed a civil suit against him. He paid us $600, and never came up with the rest. The judge allowed us to file a judgement against him as person (not his company). In order for the judgement to be applied we needed his social security number, which we didn’t have. We did file a lien against his construction equipment, but nothing ever came of that either. Had I of known about pressing charges, I would of went that felony route on him as well. It’s easier for the general public to find out about criminal records versus judgements.

I hope that you get your money back.

I’ll be happy to help,

Danielle

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here