Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
San Diego Real Estate Forum
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback
Account Closed
  • San Diego, CA
Votes |
New Grad Considering House Hacking in San Diego

Account Closed
  • San Diego, CA
Posted Oct 6 2019, 21:54

Hi all! I've been spending the last few weeks reading a lot more about investment properties and learning about the world of real estate. I've spent a lot of time on the forums here and listening to the BP podcast. I really like the possibilities that real estate investment opens up, of course, but I was hoping to get spark a little discussion on the San Diego market in particular. I recently graduated from college and began working full time here in San Diego, and I can see myself staying here for a while. 

From what I've read so far, it seems that some form of house hacking would be the best first step for me. I've been looking at 2-3br apartments, condos, and townhomes in the Mira Mesa/Sorrento Valley/La Jolla university area where I could have renters living with me in the other bedrooms. However, it kind of seems that the market is just not in my favor right now. I'm finding it difficult to find places where monthly rent for the property covers the mortgage, much less any maintenance and fees or cash flow. Obviously San Diego is really competitive, but is this just the wrong strategy for this area? Am I out of luck in San Diego given my newbie status, or do I just need to stick with it to find the right deal? I spoke with a local agency and they believe it's still a viable situation given where interest rates are right now and that the market is back to "neutral" from the strong seller's market, but I don't know if I'm just better off investing outside of San Diego to gain benefits from REI.

I'd love to hear your thoughts! 

Loading replies...