Aaron Douglass
Pro Member
Votes |
Fundamentals: A Philosophy for Success in Life and Real Estate

Aaron Douglass
Pro Member
Posted May 24 2023, 08:08

Fundamentals: A Philosophy for Success in Life and Real Estate

Note: This article was written in collaboration with ChatGPT, an AI large language model, and reflects the philosophy and opinions of the author, Aaron Douglass.

Know Thyself

"Know Thyself" is a famous philosophical saying that dates back to ancient Greece, where it was inscribed on the Temple of Apollo at Delphi. This phrase is attributed to the Oracle of Delphi and has been widely interpreted and discussed by philosophers throughout history. At its core, "Know Thyself" is an invitation to self-reflection and self-awareness. It encourages individuals to delve deeply into their own being, to understand their nature, thoughts, emotions, and motivations. The saying suggests that true knowledge begins with understanding oneself, as self-awareness serves as a foundation for understanding the world and one's place in it.

To "know thyself" is to engage in introspection, to examine one's beliefs, values, strengths, weaknesses, and limitations. It involves a process of self-examination that goes beyond superficial aspects of identity and delves into the depths of one's psyche. This introspective journey may involve questioning one's desires, biases, fears, and illusions in order to gain a clearer and more authentic understanding of oneself.

The saying also implies that self-knowledge is a lifelong pursuit. As humans, we are complex beings, and our understanding of ourselves is not static. It evolves and deepens as we gain new experiences, encounter challenges, and engage in personal growth. Self-knowledge is a continuous process of reflection, self-assessment, and self-discovery.

Knowing oneself can have profound implications for personal development and well-being. It enables individuals to make more informed choices, align their actions with their values, and develop a stronger sense of purpose. Self-awareness also fosters empathy and understanding towards others, as it allows individuals to recognize and appreciate the diversity of human experiences.

Put it into practice - The way I put this fundamental into practice in my own life is my “time on the mat”. During this daily quiet time, I spend 30 minutes practicing yin yoga and meditation. I follow my practice with a stream of consciousness journaling session where I just write down everything going through my head without judgment. This invaluable practice gives me clarity and constant reminders about who I am, which is not at all trivial when it comes to living a fulfilled life.

Leave your comments below about your favorite practices and techniques for connecting with your true nature.

Seek to Understand Reality

One inevitable consequence of seeking to know yourself is expanding that curiosity to knowing your place in the universe. Understanding Reality is a superpower in this world of fake news and AI generated content. I wrote or substantially edited about 40% of this article. Can you tell what is human generated and what was generated by AI? I did not try to hide it whatsoever.

We are constantly bombarded with graphs and charts depicting data trends and experts sharing their findings. Fundamentally, these are stories that represent some aspect of reality. Scientific studies should be thought of in the same way. Doing your own work to sift through the validity of the information you encounter is fundamental to developing a strong understanding of Reality. It is far too common these days to encounter experts spouting theories that explain data or scientific observation in a way that far overreaches the context of the data.

Reality exists on many different levels. As an MS in Physics and Mathematics, I take quantum field theory as the most fundamental level of Reality. That doesn’t have much of an impact at the level of biology, but it is helpful to remember that all biological systems are fundamentally quantum mechanical, even if they are best described in biological terms.

Moving up a few more levels we have human social interactions. Good luck describing the complex world of human social interaction in terms of cells and bacteria. Yet we know that humans are fundamentally biological systems. Both stories are stories about Reality we can be confident in. Accurate mathematical descriptions of complex systems at the level of human social interaction and above are generally given with statistical models. At their best, these models are only as representative of reality as the data set they were trained on. Don’t mistake a statistical model for Reality itself. It may be a great representation of reality, or it may lead to false conclusions about reality.

It is incredibly easy to accept information as true without thinking twice, especially when it aligns with your current worldview. Don’t forget to take the time and mental effort to question the stories about reality that you consume. It will be well worth the effort.

I should also mention that the most powerful change comes from challenging fundamental assumptions that you might not even realize you have. It is incredible the impact that replacing a false belief with one that is more in line with Reality can have when it is a core belief. Those beliefs are the most difficult to change, but the most impactful when changed. It is easy to change loosely held beliefs, and you should, but remember that improving a single core belief to better align with reality is more powerful than changing 1000 beliefs that are not fundamental.

Put it into practice - Think about the system on multiple levels. There are typically one or two levels that naturally describe the system in question. For example, if my question is "should I buy this property?” You can address this question at the level of single property deal analysis (collect data, do math). To give a more complete representation of Reality, you can also address the question at the level of the local real estate market, global economic trends, your personal financial situation, and the emotional impact that buying the property is likely to have on your spouse. For your next deal, see how many levels you can use to evaluate the transaction. Remember that each of these levels is itself a story and should be weighted appropriately. Returning to our previous example, you might put more weight on the deal analysis and local real estate market analysis than on the global economic trends, but even if the deal pencils out at those levels, it may not work for your spouse or your personal financial situation. Reality doesn’t care about our myopic viewpoints and the stories we tell ourselves. Understanding Reality is about living in harmony with it, not bending it to your will.

Visualize Your Future State

Visualizing your future state can be a beneficial life habit for several reasons. When you engage in the practice of visualizing your desired future, you create a mental image or a vivid picture of what you want to achieve or become. Here are some ways in which this habit can be beneficial:

Clarity and Focus: Visualizing your future state helps bring clarity and focus to your goals and aspirations. By creating a clear mental image of what you want to achieve, you define your objectives more precisely and enhance your understanding of what success means to you. This clarity enables you to align your actions and decisions with your envisioned future.

Motivation and Inspiration: Visualizing your desired future can serve as a powerful source of motivation and inspiration. When you vividly imagine yourself achieving your goals or living the life you desire, it stirs up positive emotions and fuels your determination. This motivation can help you overcome obstacles, persevere through challenges, and stay committed to your aspirations.

Goal Setting and Planning: Visualization complements the process of goal setting and planning. Once you have a clear mental image of your future state, you can break it down into actionable steps and develop a strategic plan to turn your vision into reality. Visualizing helps you identify the necessary actions, resources, and milestones to move closer to your desired future.

Overcoming Obstacles and Resilience: Visualizing your future state can help you anticipate and navigate obstacles. By mentally rehearsing different scenarios and challenges, you can develop strategies and contingency plans to overcome setbacks. This mental preparation enhances your resilience and adaptability, enabling you to stay focused on your vision even in the face of difficulties.

Alignment of Actions and Values: Visualization connects your actions with your core values and desires. When you have a clear mental picture of your future state, it becomes easier to assess whether your daily choices and actions are in alignment with your long-term vision. This self-awareness promotes a sense of integrity and helps you make decisions that are consistent with your values and aspirations.

It's important to note that while visualization can be a powerful tool, it is not a substitute for taking action. Visualizing alone is not enough; it should be accompanied by proactive steps and consistent effort. The act of visualizing simply serves as a guiding light, providing clarity, motivation, and direction on your journey toward your desired future.

Put it into practice - Visualization is another natural progression of “know thyself”, which takes the concept from the present to the future state. Nice to meet you, future self. Coming to that clear vision of the future is motivating and empowering. It is about knowing who you want to be. Use your mat time and journaling to periodically reflect on what you want your life to look like in 3 months, 3 years, 10 years, and 50 years. Don’t just write it, visualize it. Use your visual cortex. It is the most powerful information processing tool we as humans possess. It will help you greatly in understanding what a happy and fulfilled life truly looks like for you.

Make a Plan

Now you know who you are, your place in the universe, and your future self. It is time to make a plan to connect your current self and future self. I like to set my goals on 3 month, 3 year, 10 year, and 50 year time horizons. Just do it once, you won’t need to revise your 10 or 50 year goals often at all, and being consistent about 3 month goal setting can be life changing.

Effective goal setting is a crucial aspect of personal and professional development, as it provides direction, motivation, and a roadmap for achieving desired outcomes. Setting goals across different timeframes—3 months, 3 years, 10 years, and 50 years—allows for a comprehensive and balanced approach to planning for the future. Here are some considerations for effective goal setting within each timeframe:

3 Months:

Setting goals for a 3-month timeframe provides a shorter-term focus and allows for more immediate action and feedback. When establishing goals for this timeframe:

a. Be Specific: Clearly define what you want to achieve within the next three months. Set measurable and specific targets to provide clarity and enable progress tracking.

b. Break Down Goals: Break down larger objectives into smaller, manageable tasks or milestones. This helps maintain motivation, as you can celebrate achievements along the way.

c. Set Priorities: Determine the most important goals to focus on for the next three months. Prioritize them based on urgency, impact, or alignment with long-term objectives.

d. Establish a Timeline: Set deadlines for each goal or milestone to create a sense of urgency and promote accountability.

e. Monitor Progress: Regularly review and assess your progress toward the 3-month goals. Adjust strategies or actions as needed to stay on track.

3 Years:

Goals set for a 3-year timeframe provide a mid-range perspective and allow for more substantial progress and growth. When establishing goals for this timeframe:

a. Consider Different Areas of Life: Reflect on various aspects of your life, such as career, education, relationships, health, and personal development. Set goals that encompass these different dimensions.

b. Balance Short and Long-Term Objectives: Align the 3-year goals with your long-term vision while considering immediate priorities. Strike a balance between ambitious, long-term aspirations and realistic, actionable objectives.

c. Develop Action Plans: Outline the steps, strategies, and resources needed to achieve the 3-year goals. Break down these goals into yearly, quarterly, or monthly targets to ensure steady progress.

d. Seek Feedback and Support: Share your goals with trusted individuals who can provide guidance, feedback, and support. Collaborate with mentors, coaches, or like-minded peers to gain additional perspectives and insights.

e. Track Milestones: Establish measurable milestones along the way to track progress and stay motivated. Regularly review and assess your advancement toward the 3-year goals, making adjustments as necessary.

10 Years:

Setting goals for a 10-year timeframe allows for more significant and transformative aspirations. When establishing goals for this timeframe:

a. Visionary Thinking: Engage in visionary thinking and imagine where you want to be in 10 years. Consider your values, passions, and desired achievements to shape your goals.

b. Long-Term Planning: Break down the 10-year goals into smaller milestones or benchmarks to facilitate progress tracking and provide a sense of achievement along the way.

c. Continuous Learning and Skill Development: Identify the skills, knowledge, or experiences you need to acquire or develop to reach your 10-year goals. Create a learning plan to continuously improve and broaden your capabilities.

d. Flexibility and Adaptability: Recognize that circumstances may change over a 10-year timeframe. Stay flexible and be willing to adapt your goals and strategies to accommodate unforeseen opportunities or challenges.

e. Periodic Reflection: Regularly review and reassess your 10-year goals, making adjustments as needed to reflect changing priorities, values, or circumstances. This ensures that your goals remain relevant and aligned with your evolving self.

50 Years:

Setting goals for a 50-year timeframe requires a long-term vision and provides a sense of legacy and purpose. When establishing goals for this timeframe:

a. Legacy and Impact: Reflect on the lasting impact you wish to make in your lifetime. Consider your contribution to society, future generations, or causes that are meaningful to you.

b. Breakthrough Thinking: Engage in expansive and innovative thinking to set goals that challenge traditional boundaries. Aim for breakthroughs and paradigm shifts that can shape your long-term impact.

c. Lifelong Learning: Commit to continuous learning and personal growth throughout your life. Embrace opportunities for education, exploration, and self-improvement to support your long-term goals.

Remember, goal setting is an iterative process. It is essential to regularly review, revise, and refine your goals across different timeframes as circumstances change and as you grow and evolve personally and professionally. If you’re having trouble with setting and achieving goals, coaching can be a great way to establish effective habits. In the end, it’s up to you!

Take Action

Taking action is a crucial step in achieving your goals once they have been set. It really could have been the first fundamental in the list, but putting it last should be a reminder that action alone will not lead to a happy and fulfilled life. Action must be inextricably linked to intention. Intention is created in the first 4 steps. Here are some tips to help you effectively move from goal setting to taking action:

Take Consistent and Regular Action: Consistency is key. Take regular action towards your goals, even if the steps are small. Make it a habit to work consistently on tasks that move you closer to your desired outcomes. Regular action builds momentum and increases your chances of success.

Celebrate Milestones and Progress: Celebrate your achievements and milestones along the way. Recognize and acknowledge your progress, regardless of how small it may seem. Celebrating milestones boosts motivation and reinforces positive momentum.

Stay Committed and Persist: Stay committed to your goals, even when faced with obstacles or setbacks. Persistence is crucial in overcoming challenges and achieving long-term success. Maintain a resilient mindset and keep pushing forward, even in the face of difficulties.

Remember, taking action is the bridge between setting goals and achieving them. By implementing these tips and consistently taking focused and purposeful action, you significantly increase your chances of turning your goals into reality.

Put it into practice - I like to use the Jerry Seinfeld “don’t break the chain” approach to certain behaviors. I recommend having some physical celebration that you aren’t afraid to perform for the smallest of successes. Maybe a victory dance or a fist pump. If I fix even a small software bug or complete a training run or heavy lift, I’m likely to raise my hands into the sky for a full body stretch, put on a huge smile, pump my fist and say YESSS!!!!! It feels incredible and puts me in a great headspace to continue taking on challenges. Whatever it takes to keep you on the path of regular, consistent action. Consistent action over time is where the magic happens. Don’t just celebrate the milestones, celebrate the action.

What tips do you have for taking action, setting goals, visualizing your future, understanding reality, and knowing thyself? I would love to hear your comments and advice below.