Votes
Marco Batis
Pro Member
Votes |
Need Loan Advice

Marco Batis
Pro Member
Posted Jan 29 2024, 18:57

Hi, my grand mother just passed & left her to home to my brother & I. It's completely payed off & has never been updated. We would like to pull some equity & upgrade the house & possibly sell. Is a HELOC the best option ? Thanks for the help.

User Stats

Votes
Nathan Harden
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Puyallup, WA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Puyallup, WA
Replied Jan 29 2024, 19:04

It all depends. What are your goals? 

Do you want to turn it into a rental?

If you are thinking flip. Run your numbers with what condition the house is in right now to see what you could sell for it as it sits. If you can make a ton of money without cracking into walls, going through the construction process, dealing with all of those headaches that come with a flip. The juice may not be worth the squeeze for an entire rehab.

User Stats

Votes
Jon K.
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Perry Hall, MD
Votes |
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Perry Hall, MD
Replied Jan 30 2024, 20:18

If you decide your end goal is to sell it and you want to increase the amount of money you will receive from selling the property then before you do a single thing to it, find a realtor that you trust and discuss it with them. Most good realtors will be able to tell you what improvements will increase the value of the house by more than the cost of the improvement. They will also likely have connections with contractors.

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes