payoff mtg to buy more?

2 Replies

Hi everyone, a little background first, we have 3 rentals and 1 primary all with mortgages. The three rentals all have equity and positive cash flow with low mortgages. We are looking a purchasing either another SF or multi-family which has put us in the spot of larger down payment 25-30%+ which we have. My partner (hubby) came up with the idea of paying off one of the rentals and purchase another property he is thinking we would get a lower down payment of 10-20% because only 3 properties would have active mortgages. Then after the purchase refi the rental that was paid off to get the money back out My take on this is why increase a mortgage by 100% (400mo to 800mo) when we can just bite the bull.. and purchase with a higher down of 25-30% and keep the mortgages at there low monthly and with 25-30% the new mortgage would also be low. I like to hear your thoughts on this What say you :)

@Marlene D'Souza as many here will tell you it is a matter of risk tolerance and also analysis. Some people use and abuse leverage to a point of extreme risk. Others avoid it to the point of decreasing growth. It comes down to your own comfort level, how large your reserves are, and your goals. Find a balance point that doesn't cause you to lose sleep.

Thanks Walt, I'll keep that in mind I tend to lean on the side of caution.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.