The sneaky (and even scary) impact of an Investment Vision Board

5 Replies

I'm sure everyone has experienced this; you are preparing to move and comes across items and belongings you have not looked at in quite some time.  Many make you reminisce, but every once in a while one provides a "light bulb" moment.

If anyone has read the book "The Answer" you are familiar with a Vision Board.  Basically, it's putting up pictures of your goals somewhere you will see it daily.  

For all of 2013 I had  three pictures printed out on a piece of paper and taped on the wall next to my computer where I sat every day.  The picture was to my right and was in my periphery.  So even if I wasn't looking directly at it I still saw it, realizing it or not.

One of the pictures was a 2/2 condo with a garage in a nearby neighborhood.  I wanted a property with those parameters. The goal was never for that specific community, it was more an example.

In early 2014 I moved into a townhome that I've since  turned into a rental property.  The printout was filed away at that time - I have not seen it since.  Until today......and that's when the light bulb went off!

I mentioned in a previous post that I'm closing on property next week.  It's a 2/2 condo with a garage and it's in the exact community as the one on my vision board.  It's looks exactly the same, color and all (there are 3 different color schemes in the community). Literally the only difference, its on the next street.

That freaked me out!

When I first starting looking a few months ago, this type of unit was not in my current day criteria.  Somehow I ended up gravitating to this deal though and got more creative and negotiated more aggressively on this then I normally do - I guess now I know why.

The numbers work and I'm getting everything I want in a living space.

I had totally forgotten about the picture of this condo.  Well, atleast that's what I thought!  

That's the power of a vision board, really cool (and a little scary)

@Mitchell Javorksi

Really cool story. From my experience this has to do with the fact of truly believing and working towards something and then it will come true.

Anything else unknowingly  experience in life from the vision board? I am curious

Hey @Michael Westberry  that's the only vision board I have ever done. 

The other two pictures on it and they were more discretionary things; a 1972 Chevrolet Chevelle and a picture of the Saturday night Nascar Race at Bristol, TN held every August that I want to take my uncle too.

I'm sure they will happen, I browse the Chevelle's at every car show I go to with my buddies, too busy plowing all my money into Real Estate though!..hahaha  :-)

@Mitchell Jaworski its hard to spend the money when you know it can be a producing asset. The early 70's chevelle's are sweet rides though!

I have heard that putting together a vision board can subconsciously help a person achieve their goals.  But some things ARE kindof spooky.

A couple of years ago, I was looking at the vision board I had made about 6 months earlier. . Professional,personal, spiritual goals, there was a mix of all. So many things had already manifested. I was an advanced unit leader in a cosmetic company [yes Ben, I really am a little old Avon lady] I had met both Michael Moore and Temple Grandin [ Keith Olberman and Oprah were also on the board, haven't met them...yet]

I looked at several cruise ship pictures I had glued to the posterboard. And I remember thinking that with now having breast cancer and being totally broke from having spent hundreds of thousands of dollars on trying to find a cure for my seriously ill son, that it would be very shallow of me to still hope for a cruise but that I still was going to believe for one.

THAT VERY NIGHT, maybe 3 hours later, my husband came home from work and told me that we had won a week long cruise from NAPA [auto parts] It included transportation, taxes and government fees, tips, and even $500 on-line credit.  It was not until we were in one of the long lines to get onto the ship that it dawned on me that it was my one year "canniversary,"  

The cruise ship went on my board again.  The circumstances, still awesome, are not NEARLY so "OMG, too coincidental to be a coincidence,' " this time, BUT we are leaving on a cruise out of Galveston on February First. We will not be starting the cruise on my "canniversary" this year, but we will be on our way on it. [Also, the Super Bowl is on the first, and if we get to the Super Bowl, if we lose, I will have one heck of a week being comforted "inmy time of need" in great style.  Yeah!]

@Vicki Gleitz  good to see there are others that have seen results from this, guess there is something to that book and this process after all.   I'm going to create another, just gotta decide what I want for 2015!

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.