Bigger Pockets has decreased the number of "idiots" in RE Investing

9 Replies

Leave it to Gentle @Ben Leybovich

to start a thread with a provocative title "Are most investors idiots. "  This post is an indirect response to his and no I don't have a website. 

There is no doubt in my mind that Bigger Pockets has reduced  the number of investors, especially new ones, who look and act like idiots when starting out.  I certainly wish I had such a great place to learn about investing when I was starting out.  There were other sites and I learned a good bit, but nothing like I could have learned if BP had been around then.  

I'm not going to say that most investors are not "idiots," but I will say that most investors who come to bigger pockets and heed the advice doled out by some of the experienced investors, yes  like Ben,  probably don't invest like idiots.  

You won't hear me argue the point that BP has decreased the number of idiots in this sport.  You know, I'd like to think I've had a little something to do with that...:)

I agree @Cal C. . One of my biggest regrets in RE investing is that 9 years ago when I started I didn't spend more time on BP.  

Even when I talk to the clients I have up here in Connecticut I see a big difference with new investor BP members vs new investor non-BP members.  The BP members in general have a stronger foundation of knowledge with the groundwork laid from this site.

Michael Noto, Real Estate Agent in CT (#RES.0799665)
860-384-7570

Agreed, BP has definitely made me a better investor.  I have gained tons of knowledge that would have taken years to gain on my own and possibly would have been too expensive to gain on my own, missteps can be expensive.

I would say that I could have been one of the many potential "idiot" investors.  Thanks BP.

Agreed, BP is definitely a great educational resource for new investors that otherwise may be more at a loss as to what they're doing. I am glad to have joined this community early on in my investment career!

True.the time taken to educate oneself and discuss with others active in the rei field reduces the learning curve for the beginner

Originally posted by @Cal C. :

There is no doubt in my mind that Bigger Pockets has reduced  the number of investors, especially new ones, who look and act like idiots when starting out.   

Exactly!  If I can engage just one of them for 14 pages then I think that is less time spent by one of them being a nuisance in the marketplace.  Since I'm retired I think of it as paying back for what I've been given.  :-)

I LOVE Biggerpockets. I am also thankful that i developed my crazy strategy in my own little bubble. It didn't follow alot of the bigger pockets principles. That being said, the mentoring, connecting and team atmosphere is amazing! So thankful that it came into my life when it did.

I am the beginner, and I'm thankful every time I log in for the money and time I'm not wasting due to the info, support and education found on Biggerpockets.

Originally posted by @Elizabeth Colegrove:

I LOVE Biggerpockets. I am also thankful that i developed my crazy strategy in my own little bubble. It didn't follow alot of the bigger pockets principles. That being said, the mentoring, connecting and team atmosphere is amazing! So thankful that it came into my life when it did.

Agree and agree.

While I love BP and I'm very happy for what I have learned about REI lately, I'm happy I didn't know about BP when I first started. I might have decided my plan was inadequate and decided to wait a while until I could proceed in a manner that most investors here think is wise.

My plan worked for me and it has put me in a position this year to begin a strong expansion of my REI empire.  Waiting might have made the first step sturdier, but it would have also delayed that first step.  In my case, time was much more important than getting my BP ducks in a row.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you