My Rich Dad Poor Dad book notes. Enjoy!!

My Rich Dad Poor Dad book notes. Enjoy!!

Berthoud, CO · Member since 2016 · 13 posts · 17 votes

Rich Dad Poor Dad Notes:

  • Instead of "I can't afford this" ask "how can I afford this?".
  • Proper physical exercise increases your chances for health, and proper mental exercise increases your chances for wealth.
  • Broke is temporary. Poor is eternal.
  • The poor and middle class work for money. The rich have money work for them.
  • It's easier to change yourself then everyone else.
  • People's lives are forever controlled by two emotions: fear and greed.
  • "The avoidance of money is just as psychotic as being attached to money."
  • So many people say, "Oh, I'm not interested in money." Yet they'll work at a job for eight hours a day.
  • If you don't first handle fear and desire and your get rich, you'll only be a highly paid slave."
  • "What intensifies fear and desire is ignorance."
  • History Proves that great civilizations collapse when the gap between the haves and have-nots is too great.
  • "Confronting fear, weaknesses, and neediness by choosing our own thoughts is the way out."
  • I am concerned that too many people are too focused on money and not on their greatest wealth, their education. If people are prepared to be flexible, keep and open mind and learn, they will grow richer and richer despite tough changes.
  • Intelligence solves problems and produces money. Money without financial intelligence is money soon gone.
  • Rich people acquire assets. The poor and middle class acquire liabilities that they think are assets.
  • An asset puts money in my pocket. A liability takes money out of my pocket.
  • If you want to be rich you have got to read and understand numbers.
  • Illiteracy both in words and numbers, is the foundation of financial struggle.
  • "An intelligent person hires people who are more intelligent than he is."
  • High emotions tend to lower financial intelligence.
  • In summary, the end result in making a decision to own a house that is too expensive in lieu of starting an investment portfolio impacts an individual in three ways:
    • Loss of time during which other assets could have grown in value.
    • Loss of additional capital, which could have been invested instead of paying for high maintenance expenses related directly to the home.
    • Loss of education by not being able to afford actual investments.
  • Wealth is a person's ability to survive so many number of days forward- or if I stopped working today, how long could I survive.
  • Our business revolves around your assets column, not your income column.
  • A new car loses nearly 25% of the price you pay for it the moment you drive is off the lot.
  • Keep expenses low, reduce liabilities, and diligently build a base of solid assets.
  • A true luxury is a reward for investing in and developing a real asset.
  • Most people impulsively fo out and buy a new car, or some other luxury, on credit. They may feel bored and just want a new toy. Buying a luxury on credit often causes a person to eventually resent that luxury because the debt becomes a financial burden.
  • 16th amendment in 1913 income tax became permeant.
  • A corporation is merely a legal document that creates a legal body without a soul.
  • 1031 Exchange defers tax payments on a piece of Real Estate.
  • Financial IQ is made up of knowledge from four broad areas of expertise:
    • Accounting
    • Investing
    • Understanding markets
    • The Law
  • A corporation earns, spends everything it can, and it taxed on anything that is left.
  • The single most POWERFUL asset we all have is our mind.
  • Job "Just, Over, Broke"
  • The main management skills needed for success are:
    • Management of cash flow
    • Management of systems
    • Management of people
  • No other skill is more important than selling and marketing.
  • In all my years, I have never met a rich person who has never lost money, But I have met a lot of poor people who have never lost a dime-investing, that is.
  • The most common form of laziness: laziness by staying busy.
  • Our lives are a reflection of our habits more than our education.
  • Choice is the main reason people want to live in a free country. We want the power to choose.
  • Invest first in education.
  • "You become what you study"
  • Pay yourself first.
  • What I find funny is that so many poor and middle-class people insist on tipping restaurant help 15-20%, even for bad service, but complain about paying a broker 3-7%. They enjoy tipping people in the expense column and stiffing people in the asset column. That is not financially intelligent.
  • Whenever you feel short or in need of something, give what you want first and it will come back in buckets. That is true for money, a smile, love, or friendship.
  • It is true that your world is only a mirror of you.
  • Profits are made in the buying, not in the selling.
  • Look for people who want to buy first. Then look for someone who wants to sell.
  • As Warren Buffet, America's richest investor says, "Risk comes from not knowing what your doing"
  • Every day with every dollar, you decide to be rich, poor, or middle class. 
14Reply
35 views

Most Popular Reply

Brooklyn, NY · Member since 2016 · 16 posts · 1 vote
10y
Wow! This is gold my friend- Thank you. I've bought the book yesterday I've read it couple of years back but now I want to "study" it.
See this reply in the discussion

14 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Amherst, NH · Member since 2015 · 29 posts · 4 votes
    10y

    Sounds good. Thanks for sharing. I am doing a book study with my son and a couple of his friends on this.  Thanks again.

  • Brooklyn, NY · Member since 2016 · 16 posts · 1 vote
    10y
    Wow! This is gold my friend- Thank you. I've bought the book yesterday I've read it couple of years back but now I want to "study" it.
  • Chris MasonPro Member
    Moderator
    Lender · CA · Member since 2015 · 9k+ posts · 10k+ votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Joseph Conrey:

    Rich Dad Poor Dad Notes:

    • No other skill is more important than selling and marketing.
    • What I find funny is that so many poor and middle-class people insist on tipping restaurant help 15-20%, even for bad service, but complain about paying a broker 3-7%. They enjoy tipping people in the expense column and stiffing people in the asset column. That is not financially intelligent.

    Nice write-up. These two bullet points stuck out at me.

    This reminds me of FSBOs that refuse to pay buyer's agent commissions, or only offer 1% or 1.5%. OK buddy so your strategy is basically to expect all the professional salespersons to sell this product that you want sold as a premium high quality product with all these cool features, bla bla bla, for zero commission, when that comparable house 2 blocks away is offering 3%? What salesperson is NOT going to go out of their way to sell the F out of that comparable home and trash all the FSBO's flaws, both for rational reasons and to spite the FSBO?

  • Investor · Fayetteville, NC · Member since 2016 · 24 posts · 6 votes
    10y

    I just finished listening to the audio book in my car for the second time in the last couple of weeks. I read the book years ago, but it really sunk in this time. I have noticed how I am already more observant of what others say and do and how it relates to where they are in life and their expectations for the future. Just yesterday I was listening to a friend talk about their retirement situation. She explained how her husband was about to retire from the military after 27 years, her disability and their ssn would be enough to cover all there bills. I thought to myself, "How sad is that?" That is not what my family deserves and I will do whatever necessary to make sure we are not in that situation. 

    We experienced the crash of 07/08 first hand and my wife is finally willing to support me getting back in the game. I believe she has seen the excitement and conviction on my part to ensure the past does not dictate the results of the future. This site has done wonders for me and I have been sharing much of what I have learned in the podcast and forums with her on a consistent basis. She is even listening to Rich Dad, Poor Dad and yesterday we listened to ZIg Zigler in the car.

  • Developer/Broker · Spanish Fork, UT · Member since 2016 · 73 posts · 41 votes
    10y
    These are some great points pulled from the book. Thanks for sharing.
  • Arlington, TX · Member since 2015 · 31 posts · 10 votes
    10y
    Everyday with every dollars you decide to be rich, poor or middle class! Priceless! Thanks!
  • Berthoud, CO · Member since 2016 · 13 posts · 17 votes
    10y

    I am glad you guys are enjoying the notes! The biggest takeaway I have pulled out of the book is paying myself first. I am in the military currently. We don't get paid a lot but the beauty is that it is 100% disposable income because everything is taken care of! I am taking advantage of the investing opportunity. Everyone keep up the reading and update me if you come across any nuggets!

  • Investor · Port Coquitlam, BC · Member since 2013 · 203 posts · 119 votes
    10y
    Thanks Joseph Conrey . Nice job on the summary. I have read the book 3 times and I had forgot a few of the things you posted. This is one book that has created more real estate investors than any other book!
  • Rental Property Investor · East Wenatchee, WA · Member since 2014 · 10k+ posts · 16k+ votes
    10y

    Very thorough job summarizing a classic, Joseph! Thanks for taking the time. I'd forgotten quite a few!

  • Bellevue, WA · Member since 2016 · 154 posts · 57 votes
    10y
    Thanks, Joseph Conrey ! I always appreciate a bullet point summary. May I suggest you upload this to the Tools>Fileplace section of the website, so more people might see it? Best wishes!
  • Realtor · Dubai, UAE · Member since 2015 · 45 posts · 30 votes
    10y

    Thanks Joseph for posting this! I love RD stuff and it was through RD I got my start in real estate

  • Residential Real Estate Agent · Grand Rapids, MI · Member since 2013 · 803 posts · 689 votes
    10y

    I have read the book a couple of times but reviewing these bullet points was very refreshing. Thanks for posting!

  • Real Estate Investor · Edinburg, TX · Member since 2016 · 76 posts · 13 votes
    10y
    Great book, Robert Kiyosaki truly a pioneer!
  • Professional · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2015 · 47 posts · 31 votes
    10y

    amazing stuff right here @Joseph Conrey

    I do not have kids yet but I will definitely make sure my kids are reading, understanding and hopefully living by these standards. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.