• Sioux Falls, SD
Votes |
1000th Post So Why Are You Here?

Joe Splitrock
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Sioux Falls, SD
ModeratorPosted Nov 30 2016, 08:57

I have been on Bigger Pockets for about a year and this is my 1000th post. I have to admit my posting has slowed over the last few months. I found myself spending too much time on here and not enough time on my business. Some of the regulars on Bigger Pockets must spend hours a day reading and posting based on the volume they output. So here is my question. Why are you here? The obvious answer may be to give back or gain knowledge, but why is it some have 10 posts and others have thousands. Please share your time commitment and your why.

Thank you to everyone in the community including @Joshua Dorkin for starting this website! I started in real estate in 2004 and it is mind boggling it took me 12 years to find Bigger Pockets!  I wish I would have found it sooner.

User Stats

Votes
Mindy Jensen
  • BiggerPockets Money Podcast Host
  • Longmont, CO
Votes |
  • BiggerPockets Money Podcast Host
  • Longmont, CO
Replied Nov 30 2016, 09:02

@Joe Splitrock , I, too wish I had found BiggerPockets sooner.

I started off here because no one in my real life cares about real estate. I love real estate in all forms, and finding someone (or 625,000 someones) who love it like I do was exciting.

Before I started working here, I was a stay at home mom/investor, and I would make excuses for why I needed to just hop onto BP for a minute. I needed to see if someone answered my question, or if someone had a question I could answer.

In real life, real estate is competitive. There is no sharing, for fear of someone stealing the deal. But on BiggerPockets, the entire community shares so freely. I have learned so much from everyone here.

This would be my favorite web site of all time, even if I didn't work here.

User Stats

Votes
John Thedford#5 Wholesaling Contributor
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Naples, FL
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Naples, FL
Replied Nov 30 2016, 09:07

I am here to share, network, and learn. I don't have a "job" to report to everyday. On top of that, I must confess to an addiction to this website. No known cures...what am I to do?

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Bill Gulley#3 Guru, Book, & Course Reviews Contributor
  • Investor, Entrepreneur, Educator
  • Springfield, MO
Votes |
Bill Gulley#3 Guru, Book, & Course Reviews Contributor
  • Investor, Entrepreneur, Educator
  • Springfield, MO
Replied Nov 30 2016, 09:41

I'm not here to gain knowledge, but that's not to say I haven't learned from or about others.

A long, long time ago, an attorney took me under his wing in a way, he was also a judge and we were neighbors. He did a lot to influence me about business, fairness and community.

Another mentor was a very successful hotel developer, another was the president of a bank.

The Army drilled into my head such things as duty, honor and country, your country begins at home. Honor has much to do with the way you act and carry on in your life. Duty is an obligation, first to yourself, then others, any mission that is not successful has little benefit to you or others.

"For the public good" is a business ethic that promotes business in a community, if the public is not in good standing then business opportunities are limited.

Doing the right thing is never wrong. To error is human, but intentional acts are hard to forget or be forgiven for. 

This philosophy has served me very well, especially in business, it is my foundation for my success.

Others have been there for me before, most all of them are gone, it's time to pay it back, it's a duty.

The duty can be overwhelming at times, while there is appreciation from many there is also rejection, but, you can't expect everyone to listen or agree all the time. 

My contribution here is to those willing to take advice, to those capable of improving their situation not only in business but in life as well. Knowing that you may influence some to succeed honorably, in their community in an industry that is full of sharks is better than money, at least to me, I have money, so it's the satisfaction. 

I have less time than I use to, my time is getting more valuable as well, but there will always be that sense of duty to assist those behind me. 

Best of luck!  :)  

User Stats

Votes
Joe Splitrock
Pro Member
  • Sioux Falls, SD
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Sioux Falls, SD
ModeratorReplied Nov 30 2016, 09:54

@John Thedford I think I was addicted too. I now set a time limit for myself which means less posts. I try to like things rather than always respond. 

I like @Mindy Jensen solution of just working for BP. I always enjoy your posts Mindy!

Thanks @Bill Gulley for your contributions, almost 22K posts is mind blowing.

User Stats

Votes
Brian Gibbons#5 Guru, Book, & Course Reviews Contributor
  • Investor
  • Sherman Oaks, CA
Votes |
Brian Gibbons#5 Guru, Book, & Course Reviews Contributor
  • Investor
  • Sherman Oaks, CA
Replied Nov 30 2016, 10:09

I like BP very much.

Many new people are looking for direction in getting started and I enjoy helping them.

User Stats

Votes
Jeff B.
  • Buy & Hold Owner
  • Redlands, CA
Votes |
  • Buy & Hold Owner
  • Redlands, CA
Replied Nov 30 2016, 10:33

I'm here to inform others of What Not To Do and to avoid mistakes I've made.  Also like to debunk hype, fud and misunderstandings when possible to help naive beginners from suffering unanticipated consequences.

User Stats

Votes
Joe Splitrock
Pro Member
  • Sioux Falls, SD
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Sioux Falls, SD
ModeratorReplied Dec 1 2016, 05:57
Originally posted by @Jeff B.:

I'm here to inform others of What Not To Do and to avoid mistakes I've made.  Also like to debunk hype, fud and misunderstandings when possible to help naive beginners from suffering unanticipated consequences.

I agree. I hate to see people make mistakes, especially ones that I have already made. What is the biggest mistake you see people making?

User Stats

Votes
Chung Le
  • Investor
  • Beaverton, OR
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Beaverton, OR
Replied Dec 1 2016, 06:55

@Bill Gulley What a wonderful philosophy in life! I have not met any mentor in my life that come close as you. It is indeed that your contribution that make this BP community so valuable. I,too like Mindy Jensen, and @Joe Splitrock wish that I could find this BP earlier. Well, I can't complain as the old saying " late is better than never". A month ago I could not imagine there such web site as BiggerPockets would exit.

User Stats

Votes
Jeff B.
  • Buy & Hold Owner
  • Redlands, CA
Votes |
  • Buy & Hold Owner
  • Redlands, CA
Replied Dec 1 2016, 08:00
Originally posted by @Joe Splitrock:
Originally posted by @Jeff B.:

I'm here to inform others of What Not To Do and to avoid mistakes I've made.  ...

I agree. I hate to see people make mistakes, especially ones that I have already made. What is the biggest mistake you see people making?

Those "getting under contract" thinking they have exclusive rights; also how naively they jump on the hype and don't understand they're on legal thin ice attempting to market properties w/o license.

User Stats

Votes
Jay Hinrichs#2 All Forums Contributor
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Lake Oswego OR Summerlin, NV
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Lake Oswego OR Summerlin, NV
Replied Dec 1 2016, 08:11

Joe I think part of it is based on your knowledge IE those that have a lot of  experience  that  like to give back and then there are those starting out that are looking for the fast track.. And or they are looking for mentors and guides to help them along.. as opposed to the old fashion way of getting a RE license and learning the trade.

I was very late to coming to BP personally just started less than 3 years ago.. so averaging over 4,000 posts a year... First time I got on BP was 7 or 8 years ago and it did not interest me then.. plus was in the throws of working out of a GFC mess personally.

As for time  I type fast and have two screens open.. One for incoming escrow instructions and out going instructions etc... and one on BP.. so I can pop back and forth between signing contracts and escrow docs and BP... 

There are a lot of very great people helping others on BP.... 

PS when you live in PNW you do get a lot of rain so you spend a little more time on a computer than when I lived in Nor CAL and could play golf most days.

User Stats

Votes
Steve Vaughan#1 Innovative Strategies Contributor
  • East Wenatchee, WA
Votes |
Steve Vaughan#1 Innovative Strategies Contributor
  • East Wenatchee, WA
Replied Dec 1 2016, 08:26

Good discussion and thank you for commemorating your milestone @Joe Splitrock. Congrats!

It has been a pleasure being your colleague for so long.  Good to see you back!

I haven't been involved as much as I used to as of late, either.  I think it's to give others a chance without me flapping my yap all the time.  LOL  

I've asked myself the same thing.  Why am I here?  Can be tougher if you don't have a platform or a business that benefits from doing so.  

I find myself contributing if someone is really in a bind or getting/about to get messed over or in hot water with a poor partnership or financing structure.  If they are getting over-sophisticated with this entity or that nuance and missing the big picture.  If they are broke and don't know why - my scorched earth budget advice they love must come forth!

I also like to hop in and see what my colleagues and BP friends are saying.  They are real friends you develop and get to know.

Like @Mindy Jensen mentions, there is no better place to discuss RE in our day to day world.  BP fills a need to keep from bursting or going crazy and speaks our language. Keeps our family sane. Learning and educating is always a good thing as well!   

User Stats

Votes
Joe Splitrock
Pro Member
  • Sioux Falls, SD
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Sioux Falls, SD
ModeratorReplied Dec 1 2016, 10:25
Originally posted by @Steve Vaughan:

Good discussion and thank you for commemorating your milestone @Joe Splitrock. Congrats!

It has been a pleasure being your colleague for so long.  Good to see you back!

I haven't been involved as much as I used to as of late, either.  I think it's to give others a chance without me flapping my yap all the time.  LOL  

I've asked myself the same thing.  Why am I here?  Can be tougher if you don't have a platform or a business that benefits from doing so.  

I find myself contributing if someone is really in a bind or getting/about to get messed over or in hot water with a poor partnership or financing structure.  If they are getting over-sophisticated with this entity or that nuance and missing the big picture.  If they are broke and don't know why - my scorched earth budget advice they love must come forth!

I also like to hop in and see what my colleagues and BP friends are saying.  They are real friends you develop and get to know.

Like @Mindy Jensen mentions, there is no better place to discuss RE in our day to day world.  BP fills a need to keep from bursting or going crazy and speaks our language. Keeps our family sane. Learning and educating is always a good thing as well!   

Thanks my friend! I connected with your common-sense approach early on when I started reading your posts. Some people just need to hear it straight, although only a few really seem to hear the message. I still think it is good try to help. I am also in the same boat that I don't have any business interest to promote here. I am not really looking to network for business deals, so for me it is mostly to learn and share ideas. I don't really have much for local friends that invest, so it is nice to have BP friends that understand my world.

BiggerPockets logo
Find, Vet and Invest in Syndications
|
BiggerPockets
PassivePockets will help you find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.

User Stats

Votes
Joe Splitrock
Pro Member
  • Sioux Falls, SD
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Sioux Falls, SD
ModeratorReplied Dec 1 2016, 10:29
Originally posted by @Jay Hinrichs:

Joe I think part of it is based on your knowledge IE those that have a lot of  experience  that  like to give back and then there are those starting out that are looking for the fast track.. And or they are looking for mentors and guides to help them along.. as opposed to the old fashion way of getting a RE license and learning the trade.

I was very late to coming to BP personally just started less than 3 years ago.. so averaging over 4,000 posts a year... First time I got on BP was 7 or 8 years ago and it did not interest me then.. plus was in the throws of working out of a GFC mess personally.

As for time  I type fast and have two screens open.. One for incoming escrow instructions and out going instructions etc... and one on BP.. so I can pop back and forth between signing contracts and escrow docs and BP... 

There are a lot of very great people helping others on BP.... 

PS when you live in PNW you do get a lot of rain so you spend a little more time on a computer than when I lived in Nor CAL and could play golf most days.

Thanks Jay! I had no idea you were that new to BP with all those posts. Your a powerhouse both on BP and in the RE world! I have read hundreds of those posts and there is always solid advice. I hear you on the weather. With winter upon us in South Dakota, I will probably spend more time up here again.

User Stats

Votes
Joe Splitrock
Pro Member
  • Sioux Falls, SD
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Sioux Falls, SD
ModeratorReplied Dec 1 2016, 10:33
Originally posted by @Chung Le:

@Bill Gulley What a wonderful philosophy in life! I have not met any mentor in my life that come close as you. It is indeed that your contribution that make this BP community so valuable. I,too like Mindy Jensen, and @Joe Splitrock wish that I could find this BP earlier. Well, I can't complain as the old saying " late is better than never". A month ago I could not imagine there such web site as BiggerPockets would exit.

It is great to see a new member up here! You are exactly right that better late than never. In some ways I am actually glad I had to experience some tough learning experiences. It is much easier for me to say no to bad tenants after having dealt with the aftermath of saying yes when I shouldn't have. I am not sure how many of those bad decisions that BP would have saved me from making.

User Stats

Votes
Replied Dec 1 2016, 10:53

I am unfortunately addicted to forums, I waste far too much time on the inter web but being retired I have the time.

One of my main concerns is that too much communication on webs is far too positive and supportive. Many are innocently misled by advice from those unable to put forward the hard realities of our business, many are far to lenient and forgiving of tenant behaviour which can get new landlords into a lot of trouble.

My goal is to put out the true realities of our business and although my opinions are often hard nosed and controversial opinions are like A-holes...everyone has one...most people ignore the ones they don't like.

User Stats

Votes
Joe Splitrock
Pro Member
  • Sioux Falls, SD
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Sioux Falls, SD
ModeratorReplied Dec 1 2016, 11:09
Originally posted by @Thomas S.:

I am unfortunately addicted to forums, I waste far too much time on the inter web but being retired I have the time.

One of my main concerns is that too much communication on webs is far too positive and supportive. Many are innocently misled by advice from those unable to put forward the hard realities of our business, many are far to lenient and forgiving of tenant behaviour which can get new landlords into a lot of trouble.

My goal is to put out the true realities of our business and although my opinions are often hard nosed and controversial opinions are like A-holes...everyone has one...most people ignore the ones they don't like.

Your advice can come off as cold, but the valid point you always make is that this is a business. It is not a charity and we are not here to make friends with tenants. That is hard for many people to understand. What blows my mind is when you and ten other people tell someone that something is a bad idea and they still insist on doing it. I guess some people are here for affirmation instead of information or education. You have challenged my views before and in some cases it has changed my thinking. Thanks for your contributions!

By the way, I have always been curious. Have you ever liked anyone's post or does that go against your non-emotional view of the world?