How long will it take for you to Retire?

16 Replies

I saw this new area and decided to get it going. I figure that I'll be able to retire somewhere around 10 years from the time I started investing in real estate.

How long do you think it will take you to retire, starting from the date you began investing?

Thanks for posting the question Sam. I think this is the perfect topic to kick off the thread! I'd love to see how most investors think about retirement. It is really important to think long term and set goals. Hopefully, this wil get some people thinking.

Medium fbprofileJoshua Dorkin, BiggerPockets | http://www.biggerpockets.com | Podcast Guest on Show #100

This post has been removed.

Originally posted by "Jeff":

Bottom line I think is to live below your means, save and personally control your riskiest investments, ie real estate. quote]

Jeff, I think U made a TYPO...
Real Estate is the LEAST Risky of "investments"(by definition, things that APPRECIATE in value)...
Can we take a minute & evaluate RISK in "investments"
What R the other things folks "invest" in 4 Retirement?
Pensions...usually yield < 2% on investment (been 2 a gas pump lately?...2 % isn't keeping up w/inflation)

IRA's..3.5% STILL

Keough accounts, same as IRA's

401K's a hair better, & w/matching employer funds, pretty decent...maybe 7%

Stock Market....sky's the limit, right?
20,000, that's where DJSE was at a While B4 9/11/01
Even Prior 2 that eventful day it WAS on the downhill slide.

For folks that got in at the top & watched their fortunes wiped out....know what their Brokers told them 2Do over the losses?
U betcha....NUTHIN'! "Hang in there, it'll come back around". Hmmm?

What, Jeff are any and ALL of these methods secured by & collateralized with?
U got it again.... NUTHIN'!

What does Real Estate (Unlike Federal Reserve Notes, Stock Certificates, and EVERYTHING Else listed above, along with the unmentioned "US Savings bonds")....have over ALL of these?

They AREN'T Printing/Making any more of it.
Talk 2 any SERIOUS Investor in REal Estate....they already ARE "Retired" from the 9to5 office, boss, bosses boss, office politics, etc.;
They MAKE enough 2 not NEED a "job" already?

The REASON it's called REAL ESTATE is because it IS;
REAL Property...because it IS!

Everything else, & I MEAN EVERYTHING ELSE is AIR!
It's tied 2 the dollar & the dollar is only as valuable as the number of them in circulation....& do we as "investors" have any control over that, Jeff?
Everything else is where the RISK is,
Dirt will B worth more tomorrow...I'd wager my bottom dollar on it (& already have)
Truly NOBODY "loses" on REAL Estate in the long haul, it just doesn't happen.
U can't say that about anything else except precious metals 8)

Ill be able to retire in a few years max.

But my first goal is not to retire but ti get Debt free.
With out my house note, car note, credit cards, and student loans, I think life will take on a whole new meaning. Kind of like becoming a kid again only...with money.

I'm not investing in houses any more so all things being relative with my current Debts. I would say 1-3 years.

My 2 sense

Debt free.... yes... retirement? Realistically 10-15.

To bluestar and aowilkins. Getting and staying DEBT FREE gives you firm foundation on which to build your financial base. It's not how much you EARN in your life but how much STICKS.

I retired at 52 (actually cut down to 8 hours a week then, fully retired two years later. A big part of making that possible was the STUPID THINGS that I managed to do without. All of these are things that my tenants ALWAYS had, that's why they were my tenants and I owned the property that they were renting. If you are buying ANY of these things I think you need to re-evaluate your priorites and decide if having these things really get you closer to financial security.

1. NEW CARS. IMO this is the biggest thing keeping people behind the 8 ball financially. I didn't buy a NEW car until I was 56 years old. Average car costs $25K or so, payments in the $400/month range, most people finance for LONGER than they'll keep the car. Result, lifetime payments that COULD HAVE gone into their 401K

2. Cable TV. Never had cable until we moved to the country and couldn't get broadcast TV (when we retired) by then we could afford it.

3. All the extra crap on your phone service. Call waiting and forwarding etc. For the past 10 years we didn't even have a LONG DISTANCE service. We just buy the 2.9 cents per minute cards at Costco.

4. Cell phones. I didn't get one until I went back into outside sales. If you actually NEED one, and you probably don't need it, DON'T GET the fancy ring tones, camera phones etc.

Look at the crap in YOUR life, what can you do without, expecially if doing without will give you financial freedom.

all cash

I found myself nodding my head for all of these items... until I saw Cell Phone on the list. I am totally with you on the fancy ring tones and all of that CRAP, but I think a cell phone is needed in order to manage properties. So much of real estate is communication and being available to talk to someone immediately can be the difference between landing a tenant / buyer or not.

I started this path to utopia 10 years ago. Seven years into the journey (slow learner), I started investing and building my own real estate portfolio. I estimate it'll take about 10 years from that date at the rate I'm going. :superman: Which way is Vegas?

Yeah, cell phone is not a NEED, but totally makes life easier. It makes life difficult sometimes too though. Cable tv???? That's just crazy! I have to see my Cubs. See, I spend some nice afternoons with the computer and I love having the Cubs on in the background. I find it soothing. I guess it's all in how you look at things. I could probably save some $ by cutting back on alot of things, but I like them too much. My two cents....

Jared

I hope i never retire! this industry is way too fun. if you're doing something that you have to retire from, i wonder if you're truly doing your passion.

Retirement is having the freedom/choice/opportunity to partake in the pastimes you desire to, whenever you desire to, for as long as you desire to. People often mistake retirement for old age or the day they stop working and degenerate mentally and then physically or many other things that are perceived as retirement. I can jump on a plane tomorrow and go for a month long holiday because I have set myself up for that, as an X generation member (I think that's we are referred to), that's what I consider retirement.

This post has been removed.

Our idea of retirement as a society is to work hard for 40-50 years and then abruptly stop working and tinker around your house. For me, it's the ability to yank my own chain and thereby do what I want to do. One way to look at what you'll do in retirement is to observe what you do with a free day now. I'm working on deals for myself while my buddies are watching sports etc.. Most re investors are very self-motivated it seems to me and aren't the type who want to stack up a bunch of cash so that they can sit and do nothing. Boring! :protest:

I'm about as retired as I could survive right now. Thanks to my rental business, I normally work about 3-4 hours per day, 4 days a week. I spend the rest of my time riding my bicycle; riding my motorcycle; camping (during the spring/summer), and snowboarding (during the winter). For me, that's about the perfect mix.

Mike

I voted 15 yrs which I noticed most ppl did also.. Must seem like a comfortable range. Anyways, I'd love 15, realistically may be 20 but be great to push 10 or 5. I think if investors invested their nest funds and relied on little to live own for few yrs while doing as many deals as possible, they may be able to live off the interest. However, do we ever really retire?

Take Care..

Greg

I used to believe that I wanted to retire by the age of 40. My idea of retirement is doing what you want, when you want and how you want. Then I realized that by following through on my dreams of being a real estate investor, I was already retired at 30, I drive my corvette or harley to look at homes all summer, then relax at the pool with my wife when I want. I never have to get out of bed, but because I like what I do, I want to get out of bed to see what each day hold.

I am with Mike I am retired as I could want to be already. Once you realize what your lifes passion is and then start doing it, each day is like being retired.

We are all only given a limited amount of time on this earth, so I sure as heck dont want to spend it wasting away at some job that I hate.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you