Investor Mindset

User Stats

Votes
Darius M.
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Chicago, IL
Votes |
You think you know, but you have no idea; the diary of...

Darius M.
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Chicago, IL
Posted Sep 16 2010, 18:54

Darius Morris. I thought I'd use this forum to get my raw, unadulterated thoughts out. I don't know if this is the right venue to do this, but I've run across some 'as a matter of fact' people here, so maybe they can help. I've literally been in the "real estate game" since 2004 while I was still in college. I started out investing with three college friends and we made our first investment in 2005, which turned out to be a horrible investment as we bought to high. This investment among other things led the partnership I had with these guys to cease in 2006.

I moved to chicago that same year and got involved in real estate groups, calling myself an "investor." But the truth was, I never did anything more than go to meetings and collect and pass out business cards. Even worse, I became one of those people who could talk about real estate based on books and info from the internet I read. However, I had a severe case of paralysis analysis. The next three years, I finally gave it up and said f- it, and accepted the fact that I should be "comfortable and secure" in my 9-5. Turns out, I was psyching my self out, because I know in my heart and mind that this would never make me happy.

Fast forward to 2010.... this was supposed to be my breakthrough, no excuses year. Started going to real estate meetings again. I actually settled on a niche (although I haven't been fully dedicated to it). Somewhere along the line, I'm getting stuck in my old bad habits and it's truly disgusting me. I know you have to have a passion for real estate, besides the money motivation, but sometimes I question my passion. I'm just tired of calling myself an "investor" when I know I'm lying. Entrepreneurship is a passion of mine, and I know I really want to be a real estate investor, not just say I'm one. Now that this is off my head, maybe I can get some sleep. :boring: Peace out!!!

My BP fam, have any of you been in a similar situation I'm in? If so, how do I overcome this?

Loading replies...