Buy a Tesla Model 3?

209 Replies

Originally posted by @Jason Watkins :

@Dulce Beltran there are Tesla’s hitting 400k miles with less than 10% battery degradation. I own a Model 3 and it’s an absolute pleasure. This car very well could last 20 years.

probably one of the issues Tesla is going to face is the longevity of their cars and selling new ones to existing customers.. I was going to buy a 3 and turn in my S that I leased.. I leased it because I did not know if I would like it.. and wanted a walk away lease like I have done through out my sales career.. well lease comes up love the car.. so I bought out the lease and kept it..  when normally I would have traded it in for a new one..  

we do have to keep this in context though  you buy a new basic model 3 and what its 40k with rebates ? something like that. 

you buy used for 25 to 30k a semi luxury ICE car.. so whats the delta here we are talking about 10 k  15k.. now we cant compete dollar wise with those that drive 10 to 15 year old cars that are worth 1 to 5k.. and that's OK for them.   

But as some have said above you cant take it with U and there is value in life experiences. Like spending money on travel and other things that are discretionary..  All we have is time.. so for those that live in CA with traffic being a big part of their day I cant see how anyone would not want a EV car just to get in the HOV lanes.. time is money..  

The other thing folks don't realize is only a fraction of people use the super chargers they are along the highways generally but now just coming into the urban areas at least here in PDX.. they are not meant for daily use..  Like I said above you charge at home at night so EVERY day you have a full tank of energy..  you never spend a minute at a gas station not one minute.. unless you run in to buy a soda or something. 

Now granted one can spend over 120k for a new top of the line Tesla but that's not what we are talking about.. 

EV as stated above is here and is going to take over..  gone will be big repair shops  transmission shops..  jiffy lube all of those types of services will phase out over the next 20 to 30 years.. as ICE cars die off..  just like Amazon did to brick and mortar. 

And to me to think that this company has done this with not ONE dime of advertising.. and no real dealer network..  its amazing.

Now to be fair.. in super cold climates your range is stunted..  So when your 20 below in Fargo in the winter your not going to get the full range. 

One last point for those that have never driven in or driven a tesla.. if you live in a major metro area and do a bumper to bumper commute each way to work.. the auto pilot is just sheer genius.. you pop that on.. and sit back and relax.. car does the rest.. you do have a nag light so you do have to touch the steering wheel every little bit to make sure your still awake.. and you should stay vigilant like all auto pilots they can do a wonky thing now and again.. but to be able to pop that on.. the car comes to a complete stop if traffic does will sit there then start to move with traffic.. talk about a stress reliever.. and far safer than driving yourself.

When I go from Vegas to Portland we set autopilot at 78 to 82.. speed limit out in Idaho is 75 to 80.. and its just drives U there.. :)

well one more last point..   the superchargers are not gas stations.. when U stop there are normally other Teslas there you chat with fellow owners.. give tips on how to do things you don't realize your car would do.. its kind of like having a BP meet up at each charging station.. its unique.

Originally posted by @Jon S. :
Originally posted by @Jay Hinrichs:

No way on this site will any one agree with buying anything but a used beater LOL.

I have two teslas that I bought brand new  an X and An S  both going on 3 years old both never been in the shop.

they are the best cars I have ever owned and I would no way go back to a ITC engine..

my out of pocket for energy to drive the cars is less than 20 a month each.. and I get free super charging so when I am on the road I pay nothing for gas.. no oil no maintenance there is Nothing to maintain..  software updates come in over the internet.. so your car is always evolving and your getting the latest and greatest features all for free.  you plug it in at home at night when rates go down .. you can time when it starts charging.   So depending on battery you choose in the model 3 unless you routinely drive more than 200 to 250 miles PER DAY  you simply plug it in when you come home each evening just like you would a golf cart after  a round of golf.   If you cant set up your own charging at your home then it can be an issue..  it cost about 150 to have a electrician run a 240 from your breaker box.. its like setting up for a dishwasher . 

My daughter bought a 3 6 months ago and just loves it.. and I know numerous other folks that have them that love them.

just like many talk about doom and gloom in the economy..  I think Tesla has paved the way to change how auto manufacturers are going to look in the future.. like in Scandinavian countries they out law gas cars after 2022 I think all cars have to be electric.  Not to mention crash worthy wise they are the safest car on the road.. and you don't need that until you really need it.. I would never drive some little light weight thing that would get crunched in a wreck.

With Telsas incredible supercharging network they are miles ahead of everyone else..  I get free super charging for life for my cars.. 

But then again it depends on where your at in your life and career..  

and is a US company creating US jobs.. 

Let me also add for California drivers  FREE use of the HOV lane with only one person in the car.. RIGHT there that's worth the price of the car.. Time is money.

PSS  also with the new model 3 you will be able to get a full charge at the super charger in 15 minutes .. no slower than stopping and pumping gas and getting all dirty doing that.. now I Oregon its illegal to pump your own gas generally so many people in this state don't know how to pump gas or work a gas pump.. :) truth. !!

Jay, 

While i could be wrong, I don't believe she's investing on your level nor at your age.  In my opinion, that makes a significant difference when deciding whether or not to spend money on a trophy asset/cash out-flow that will depreciate significantly over time.  

That said, she is an agent / sales role.  As others mentioned, I would seek to obtain a vehicle that is flashy and reliable, but at a severe discount. Likely something about 5 years old, but something reliable... Lexus, Toyota or similar...

Jon I don't think a 40k model 3 can be called a trophy asset.. mean you buy a honda accord with same features or camry etc they cost about the same..  now if your talking full loaded one for 125k  maybe I see the trophy there..  tesla 3 is a daily driver..   

@George W. you keep missing so many details and keep spouting things that simply are not true. She has repeatedly said that she already has solar at her home, so no it doesn’t cost her anything. She already purchased it to pay for her homes electric needs. When you purchase solar for your homes electric needs, you indeed have the added benefit of FREE fuel for your car. When I purchased my solar (I agree no one should ever lease solar) the solar payment was the same as my electric bill was before I had solar. So I started paying the solar loan instead of my electric bill, but they were the same amount, so solar didn’t actually cost me any more money than I was paying before I purchased solar. As an added benefit, My wife and I switched to an electric car and eliminated ALL of our gasoline fuel costs. Since I have solar we had no fuel costs whatsoever for our vehicles. This is why both for me and for @Dulce Beltran we are in fact getting free fuel and it’s is in fact zero emissions.

Originally posted by @Chase Alison Matthews :

@George W. you keep missing so many details and keep spouting things that simply are not true. She has repeatedly said that she already has solar at her home, so no it doesn’t cost her anything. She already purchased it to pay for her homes electric needs. When you purchase solar for your homes electric needs, you indeed have the added benefit of FREE fuel for your car. When I purchased my solar (I agree no one should ever lease solar) the solar payment was the same as my electric bill was before I had solar. So I started paying the solar loan instead of my electric bill, but they were the same amount, so solar didn’t actually cost me any more money than I was paying before I purchased solar. As an added benefit, My wife and I switched to an electric car and eliminated ALL of our gasoline fuel costs. Since I have solar we had no fuel costs whatsoever for our vehicles. This is why both for me and for @Dulce Beltran we are in fact getting free fuel and it’s is in fact zero emissions.

Well that's great that your able to cut your fuel expenditures but living in a rural area where you're in a service industry driving to every job. It is not viable currently. Maybe in 20 years but not now. 

As for global warming potential it is absolutely true. A battery needs energy. Energy takes energy to make it. It takes massive amounts of energy to build it and the mines where they get the materials release co2 from ground into atmosphere. Everything that you use as a consumer has a gwp. 

Originally posted by @Julie McCoy :
Originally posted by @Nick Giulioni:

Be transparent here. You want a model 3. Do you want it more than the downpayment on your next house?

I literally had that conversation with myself.  I wound up buying both.  New house pays for new car.  (it's a vacation rental so yeah, it really does cash flow enough to pay for the car)

That sounds like a great solution!

@George W. you keep making the same failed argument that something far superior is not perfect. It doesn’t have to be perfect because that’s not what we are discussing here. We are discussing which is better electric or gas. Electric is far superior in every way. You keep complaining erroneously that battery production causes more pollution than gasoline production. Not even close. You are also ignoring the nature of batteries and gasoline. Batteries can be recycled and their materials reused. What happens to gasoline when it is used??? It pollutes our air and there is no way to reuse or recycle gasoline. It just gets burned into the air for us to breathe and then we have to go pump more oil. Saying energy is energy and they are all the same is another falsehood. Even if it were true that all extraction of earth creates CO2 emissions (whether that’s oil drilling or mining for metals used for battery production), we still must always be pumping for oil that will eventually run out and gets harder and harder to extract because of that. We keep drilling deeper and deeper. Batteries are both reusable thousands of times and recyclable for use in a new battery. Your gas is not. It’s used once to fuel your car and pollute our air. May not matter to you when’s you live in a rural area, but it matters a great deal when you are in a major city and a want to avoid smog. Also, your assertion that it will take 20 years for electric cars to be a viable option is absurd since no major auto manufacturers will make a single ICE engine after 2024 as they have already confirmed. Also, again you are making statements about where there are Superchargers or any chargers in your area without ever researching it. You keep making huge assumptions that are usually incorrect.

Great debatable topic and appreciate everyone's input, facts, experiences from each end! Saw this and had to share! 😂

I go through the numbers for any large expenditure, it's just who I am by nature, I come from an analytical background. I have the two vantage points, one as an Agent clients appreciate a nice vehicle potentially creating additional business, two, with an investor mindset it's been a challenge since this purchase would not be paying me! 

Tesla's are one of those polarizing topics.

Anyone you talk to is either going to be a fanboy/fangirl or the opposite.

Personally I would never consider a Tesla if it was going to be my one and only vehicle.  I need a vehicle that can drive long distances at the drop of a hat without having to worry about 30 minute stops every 200-300 miles to recharge.

Would I consider a Tesla if I was as wealthy as some of the big boys on this thread and could afford multiple vehicles?  Absolutely, but only for an around town car with an ICE as a backup for road trips.

The American "grid" has been built around and is very friendly to ICEs.  It's getting better for EVs, but realize that if you buy one you're an early adopter...and you get all the excitement and frustrations of being an early adopter.

Also agree with @frank jiang.  If you follow the earnings reports for Tesla, its finance health and longevity as a company is concerning.  Yes, they're making inspiring cars, but they're doing it at the expense of shareholders and debt holders.  They are going to need to do another large secondary offering soon...

BUY THE CAR!    You deserve it.   You are not investing in the company, you are just buying a ride.  Tesla will be around a long time.   My advice, add on the auto pilot and shop real estate while on the highway!   

@Dulce Beltran For what it’s worth I’ve never owed a car or any material possession that created more Joy and put a consistent smile on my face other than a Tesla. The fact that I can drive it all over town and take road trips for pennies compared to ICE vehicles is icing on the cake. The cars are wicked fast and fun to drive but also with autopilot you can relax and let the car takeover. Once you drive one you realize you are driving the future and there’s no way this company won’t be around. I have two gas cars and I have a hard time driving them anymore and they feel so archaic and dated. I get the whole “drive a paid for reliable car it’s a depreciating asset” thing but you also have to enjoy a few things in life. My two cents

Originally posted by @Eamonn McElroy :

Tesla's are one of those polarizing topics.

Anyone you talk to is either going to be a fanboy/fangirl or the opposite.

Personally I would never consider a Tesla if it was going to be my one and only vehicle.  I need a vehicle that can drive long distances at the drop of a hat without having to worry about 30 minute stops every 200-300 miles to recharge.

Would I consider a Tesla if I was as wealthy as some of the big boys on this thread and could afford multiple vehicles?  Absolutely, but only for an around town car with an ICE as a backup for road trips.

The American "grid" has been built around and is very friendly to ICEs.  It's getting better for EVs, but realize that if you buy one you're an early adopter...and you get all the excitement and frustrations of being an early adopter.

Also agree with @frank jiang.  If you follow the earnings reports for Tesla, its finance health and longevity as a company is concerning.  Yes, they're making inspiring cars, but they're doing it at the expense of shareholders and debt holders.  They are going to need to do another large secondary offering soon...

new versions of the super charger will be able to give full charge in 15 minutes.. cant really gas up much quicker than that.

In flying we have whats called get there itis  now this kills many many small plane owners and pilots.. 

in the EV we have range Anxiety .. I know I suffered from it .. and my wife one time calls crying she only has 10 miles in the battery and is 20 miles from home..  :)  so I get that part.

But for me I have the smallest battery so when I do a longer drive say 600 miles which is about my daily limit ICE engine or EV. 

I figure for that days driving it takes me about 1.5 hours longer for the trip.. but what I have come to realize is that I am more rested when I get there since I am not just rushing to buy gas.. I take the dog for a walk  or window shop a bit.. catch up on e mail.. read get food,  sleep all different things at the superchargers.. So being one who wanted to go go go all the time I have learned to slow down a bit and my range anxiety has calmed down a lot since the super charger network has about doubled sine I bought mine almost 3 years ago.

But for sure in the big wide expanses of the intermountain west there are places you simply cant go.. as there is no charging of any kind. And your not going to take them back into Rural west coast forests were its possible to get 50 75 miles from the nearest town.. 

And of course if the power is out.. we are all screwed.. you need an ICE car for back up or a generator of some sort .

But for city driving and basically a daily driver.. cant beat em unless you routinely  drive move than 250 miles each day.

Price of vehicle not withstanding and not withstanding if you buy any car you cannot now buy any real estate..  

Originally posted by @Jason M. :

@Dulce Beltran For what it’s worth I’ve never owed a car or any material possession that created more Joy and put a consistent smile on my face other than a Tesla. The fact that I can drive it all over town and take road trips for pennies compared to ICE vehicles is icing on the cake. The cars are wicked fast and fun to drive but also with autopilot you can relax and let the car takeover. Once you drive one you realize you are driving the future and there’s no way this company won’t be around. I have two gas cars and I have a hard time driving them anymore and they feel so archaic and dated. I get the whole “drive a paid for reliable car it’s a depreciating asset” thing but you also have to enjoy a few things in life. My two cents

auto pilot in bumper to bumper is genius if everyone had it traffic would flow better and there would be no fender benders.. 

Also since its software based brain.. when it does freeze a little and they do.. you just reboot just like any computer. you get a normal car with software problems and its off to the service center.   

Yup until one has owned one and driven one its hard to explain.. riding in silence I call it. Music is better  talk on on blue tooth is better.. 

super chargers up and down I 5  from CA to BC a few of the chargers at outlet malls one happens to be just 15 miles south of me.  so yesterday I let my battery get down to about 30 miles  go down in the morning super charge up to 90%  and what I saved paid for one of my shirts I bought  LOL. . although you have to be careful not to run to the charger to save 30 bucks in gas and spend 300 at the mall

@Jay Hinrichs

"new versions of the super charger will be able to give full charge in 15 minutes.."

I'm skeptical about what supercharging does to the battery degradation curve.  There's no debate it puts higher stress on the batteries.  The truth is we have limited data with Tesla's so far.  People like to throw out the outliers as proof -- 96% retention at 200k miles...I'm more concerned with the median...  Heat and cold are not friendly to batteries.  In urban CA I'm sure EVs are very well treated.  In AK...maybe not.  In AZ....may not as Toyota learned with the Leaf.

"I figure for that days driving it takes me about 1.5 hours longer for the trip.. but what I have come to realize is that I am more rested when I get there since I am not just rushing to buy gas.. I take the dog for a walk or window shop a bit.. catch up on e mail.. read get food, sleep all different things at the superchargers.. So being one who wanted to go go go all the time I have learned to slow down a bit and my range anxiety has calmed down a lot since the super charger network has about doubled sine I bought mine almost 3 years ago."

Yup...these are lifestyle differences/preferences.  I noted in my post I have my own.  I'm sure others have their own.  And -- that their lives don't resemble my own.

"But for sure in the big wide expanses of the intermountain west there are places you simply cant go.. as there is no charging of any kind. And your not going to take them back into Rural west coast forests were its possible to get 50 75 miles from the nearest town.."

Same as the deep south.  Everything has a trade off, everything has a limitation.  I agree.

Again, I think we're in agreement.  It's 50% objective, 50% personal.  The 50% personal part is the part you're not going to win the other guy over on.  : )

Originally posted by @Eamonn McElroy :

@Jay Hinrichs

"new versions of the super charger will be able to give full charge in 15 minutes.."

I'm skeptical about what supercharging does to the battery degradation curve.  There's no debate it puts higher stress on the batteries.  The truth is we have limited data with Tesla's so far.  People like to throw out the outliers as proof -- 96% retention at 200k miles...I'm more concerned with the median...  Heat and cold are not friendly to batteries.  In urban CA I'm sure EVs are very well treated.  In AK...maybe not.  In AZ....may not as Toyota learned with the Leaf.

"I figure for that days driving it takes me about 1.5 hours longer for the trip.. but what I have come to realize is that I am more rested when I get there since I am not just rushing to buy gas.. I take the dog for a walk or window shop a bit.. catch up on e mail.. read get food, sleep all different things at the superchargers.. So being one who wanted to go go go all the time I have learned to slow down a bit and my range anxiety has calmed down a lot since the super charger network has about doubled sine I bought mine almost 3 years ago."

Yup...these are lifestyle differences/preferences.  I noted in my post I have my own.  I'm sure others have their own.  And -- that their lives don't resemble my own.

"But for sure in the big wide expanses of the intermountain west there are places you simply cant go.. as there is no charging of any kind. And your not going to take them back into Rural west coast forests were its possible to get 50 75 miles from the nearest town.."

Same as the deep south.  Everything has a trade off, everything has a limitation.  I agree.

Again, I think we're in agreement.  It's 50% objective, 50% personal.  The 50% personal part is the part you're not going to win the other guy over on.  : )

absolutely no question that batteries lose range in super cold weather.  Heat at least for tesla does not bother them its hot in Vegas were I have am most of the time.. 

as for degradation on super charging .. not many use it for their normal routine it was never designed for that..  So one normally only uses it when your on a trip.. or one happens to be where your going like in our area one is at the out let mall the other the biggest mall in the state..  In Vegas they are downtown.. so when I am there most of the year.. I never go to them. when I am in my summer place here in Oregon I use them more frequently.. But in 3 years I see no battery degradation on either of my vehicles.. they still charge up to the same range they charged up to when I bought them.   there is a cab company here in Oregon that charges theirs full every night but not supercharge.. and those cars have hundreds of thousand miles those would be the once to dissect to see whats up with the batteries.

I mean what is reality how many people drive the same car more than say 200k miles.. ??? even if the battery is still working its still a car and other things maybe not working great who knows.. so far works for us..  

@Jay Hinrichs

If it works for you, great.  More power to you, keep doing what you're doing.  My OP was why Tesla doesn't currently work for me.  No need to get into a grand debate or try to convert me.  I believe EVs are still very much subjective for people in the interior US.  For people on the coasts, they're more objective.  Perhaps that's the disparity...

My one and only daily driver is 16 years old by the way.  : )

Not over 200k miles quite yet...  but I dare say looks pretty good for a 16 year old car....

Howdy Dulce, 

I recently purchased a Tesla Model 3. This was not a business purchase.  There was no "running the numbers" and I did not hesitate because I value the vehicle much more than the purchase price.  I got the standard+ range in black, with 18" aero wheels, partial premium upgrade with white interior and the full autonomous self driving navigation.

Greg's Tesla

Background: I have been paying attention to Tesla and Elon musk for 5 or 6 year now, and did my research into the Tesla brand and the Elon personality (check out his biography). And of course Elon has been in the news lately. This media coverage does not do justice to the vision and dedication that Elon has for the future of humanity. over that time, I've been saving up for the Model 3 purchase, so I was able to pay mostly cash, and have enough to install the home charger circuit at my house. I have brought in to Elons vision of the future, and am excited to see it start coming to fruition!

Since i took delivery of the car back in April, It's been worth every penny! I LOVE the vehicle and it has ruined all other cars for me. 

Good luck with your decision!

Respect,

-Greg

You can lease a Model 3 now for about $5K down and $399/mo for 36 months (quoted on tesla.com). Apparently there is no buy-out option at the end, but I would seriously consider the lease option. With battery technology improving rapidly, you avoid getting locked into old technology.  If you are a realtor, you would be writing off your lease payment as a business expense, right? Turn that baby in after 3 years and get the latest electric vehicle that's in vogue.

@Dulce Beltran there is so much FUD on this thread. I agree you won't get too many people on this thread to agree on using your own money to buy a depreciating asset (Rich dad, poor dad). However if you're already going to have to buy a car and this is a good option. The cost to own and drive is much less then an ICE car.

So now let's dispel a few things :

1. Tesla does offer a warranty on their batteries and motors. I've owned mine for 18 months and they've taken care of the few problems I've had. And the best part is no gas stations or oil changes.

2. Tesla is not running out of money in 10 months. What was said by Elon was IF they keep spending at the current rate, THIS bond issue money will be gone in 10 months. Tesla has several billion more dollars in the bank (1.5B cash plus 2B Fiat gift so they don't pay a penalty to the EU for building polluting cars). Plus they aren't planning on spending at the same rate. IF Tesla did get cheap enough then Apple or Google will come in and buy them so you won't be left with a car with no company to support/service it.

One other food for thought, IF Tesla can get autonomous cars on the road in the near future your car would go from a depreciating liability to an income generating asset (although I'd never make a decision on that rosey outcome) if you're willing to let your car be part of the tesla Robotaxi fleet when you're not using it.

I know a few people who own Tesla’s, none have ever had any complaints.

One got a used S and and it’s been in the shop a few times but they always give him a loaner car.

Used would be the way to go imo

@Dulce Beltran I've had a Model 3 dual motor since August and my only regret is waiting so long to get one.  

1. Tesla's battery/motor technology and software is at least a decade ahead of it's competition. No other manufacturer has yet to build an EV to even match the 2012 Model S in range and performance.  They are also the only manufacturer with over the air updates. My car has been updated at least 7-8 times, including a 5% power increase. Can gas cars do that? Even the original models still get free updates today. If you want the latest features in your gas car you have to go buy a brand new model every year. 

2. As far as economics, the Model 3 five-year total cost of ownership is actually cheaper than an Accord or Camry, even though the price is higher. There is no gas, no oil changes, no brake jobs (regenerative braking provides most of the stopping power), no alternator, no spark plugs, no exhaust system, no belts, etc.  You get 4 miles per kW, so divide your electricity cost per kW by 4 to get your cost per mile (mine is $.0025/mile). If you plan on keeping it for 20 years, a new Model 3 would be cheaper to own than any used gas car on the market today when considering gas and maintenance. Plus the drive unit and battery are engineered to last one million miles.

3. Charging takes about 5 seconds. You pull in your garage, and plug it in. On road trips the Tesla Supercharger network allows you to travel all over the US.  The car keeps track of when you need to stop and for how long based on your destination, so there is no range anxiety. No other company has a charging network or the ability to calculate charging stops. It may add a little extra time to a trip, but they are continually increasing the charge rate. You may have to stop 20-40 minutes every 200 miles or so.  

4. Autopilot. I use it about 80% of the time. It makes road trips way less stressful by doing ALL of the driving for you (you still need to pay attention and keep a hand on the wheel). Full Self Driving is around the corner, which will free you up from driving, and even allow you to send your car out to pick up your kids, etc. It will also give you the ability to place your car on Tesla's future robotaxi network, which could earn you tens of thousands per year.

Go to a Tesla store and drive one, and your mind will be made up pretty quickly. But buying a gas car today would be like buying a flip phone in 2008- 

@Kris L.

It would put that 14k back in her pocket as she paid it off. I would not go Tesla. Nissan,Toyota, and Honda has had developed technologies for a hot minute. Long before Hotrod came along with his version of the wheel. N.T.& H. have decades of experience building the equipment, running a successful worldwide operation. Tesla has the highest battery life claim. Tesla hasn't been around to long enough to make the claim. Them boys that out sold and sorce us since the Iran gas crisis. I'd put my money on the maker with facts over figures.

To OP's original concern about the Tesla being a depreciating asset, that is currently a very valid reason not to buy any car, especially new one. However, depending on your current income/tax situation, if you're buying it for business use, it is an additional asset that you can take depreciation on to lower your tax burden.

Also, it is possible for a car to be a cash flow generating asset even if it does depreciate faster than RE does... if you're willing to rent it out. We have ride share apps that are trying to make it more convenient to do this, but of course they take a decent cut and you've got all the issues surrounding having other people drive your car around.

One thing that might end up being a big factor in all this... No guarantee when or if it really happens, but Tesla announced that they will hopefully launch their robotaxi service sometime next year. The Elon theory is that the full self driving will be much more worked out by then and they're going to allow Tesla car owners to use their phone app to send the car off to make money for them whenever they're not using it (for a 20% cut).

My current ride: 2004 Honda Insight, still an ICE car, but no payments, it's been cheap on maintenance, and 50+ mpg... hard to beat if you're "frugal".

It's a car.  Nothing really makes sense financially unless you put it up against another car.  If you can afford, just get one and enjoy it.  At 40K, it isn't the worst financial decision you can make.  The constant software updates, autopilot are all big pluses that it's hard to put a dollar value in.  My Tesla is over 6 figures, I hate paying for it but I do enjoy driving it a lot more than my other cars.  

My 6 years old son knows electric cars pollute less than a gas car, I can't believe full grown adults can't believe that.  Sad. 

I would not buy a used Model 3, the difference isn't big enough to justify the risk.  Also these cars are expensive to fix, be careful.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here