Holding yourself accountable

11 Replies

Hey everyone   I’m looking to 10x my productivity and goal accomplishment.  In other words I really need to improve my self discipline/focus.  

What strategies do you use to hold yourself accountable to your goals?  What steps do you take to track said goals?  

How do you keep yourself pushing forward?

Tracking, I use a Google sheet with daily, weekly, monthly, quarterly, and annual objectives. Track adherence and results on a daily basis. Daily affirmations have been very helpful in pushing my level of action. I get to look back on the days that I didn't complete my objectives, and it hurts! 

I also consciously weed out the crap that tries to infect our minds on a daily basis. I only follow people on social media who help push me forward, i.e. friends who take super massive action. I automatically unfollow everyone who posts about politics or content that is not relevant to my real estate investing success. 

Everyone and everything you pay attention to should push you to do more, better, faster, and more effectively.

@Taylor L. thank you for the suggestions.  I’ll have to create a spreadsheet.  

When it comes to setting your actual goal, do you have any tips to help me keep it achievable 

@Bill Plymouth get an accountability partner. A friend or someone you trust who will encourage you to move forward, but also ask you tough questions about “what” and “why” if you start to slack, and help you stay on track. Write down your goals, your plan, and the action steps that you’re committed to taking, and set timelines. Then sit down with your accountability partner, explain it to them, and ask them to help hold you accountable. Meet with them on a regular basis, at least monthly and probably more often at first, and report on what you’re doing and what action you’ve taken. I find it to be quite a motivation to get things done when I know I have to report my progress (or lack thereof) to someone else.

And @Taylor L. , is right on...it’s just as much about what you STOP doing so that you can focus on the actions that truly make a positive difference.

Originally posted by @Bill Plymouth :

@Taylor L. thank you for the suggestions.  I’ll have to create a spreadsheet.  

When it comes to setting your actual goal, do you have any tips to help me keep it achievable 

Whatever your long term goal is, start there and work backward. So if you have a 5 year goal, where do you need to be in 3 years to be on the right trajectory? To be on that 3 year trajectory, where do you need to be a year from now? Keep going in that direction until you've turned that into objectives for today, this week, next week, and this month. As the saying goes, most people overestimate what they can do in a year and underestimate what they can do in a decade.

@Chris Coleman I'm trying to focus on what pulls me from my goals.  Do you have an tips on beating out bad habits?

@Taylor L. I'll have to seriously take a look at what I want to accomplish.  I find that my biggest issue is lack of focus.  I get easily distracted and pulled to other projects.  

@Caleb Heimsoth I definitely love what I'm doing.  I just need focus.  

@Frank Wong what do you do to build your environment so that it breeds success?

@Bill Plymouth

I have no cable, no NFLX, a white board with my daily and weekly goals on it. A nice couch, some indoor plants, some paintings, and a really expensive king bed.  My environment forces me to either sit there and be bored out of my mind or get to work and achieve my goals. The bed was probably my best investment ever. Think about it you spend a 1/3 of your life sleeping.  

To decompress from working. Gym or driving range. Smash weights or smash some balls. You pick whatever you can clear your mind with but for me that is what I like. 

@Bill Plymouth we have to displace old bad habits with new good habits. It’s not enough to just stop doing something that’s not working. We need to replace it with an action that will work.

For me, the key is establishing and living by my healthy routines. I set daily, weekly, monthly routines, and for the most part I live by them. I mean literally, for example, waking up at a certain time each morning, having the morning routine, starting the work grind at a certain time and following the steady work routine. I go to the gym at the same time on the same days each week. Etc, etc, etc. Develop routines that are filled with the healthy, positive action items that you need to get done in order to accomplish your goals.

Part of my weekly routine is that I also try to have a day each week (Friday’s for me) where I have no routine and I go completely freestyle as much as possible. This is my relax and refuel day. I’m a strong believer that we all need time each week to clear our head and refuel.

If you have not done so, I highly recommend reading “The One Thing” by Gary Keller and Jay Papasan. It speaks all about focus.

@Bill Plymouth it's all about putting one foot in front of the other, every day. You're not going to be maximally productive on Day 1, you need to work up to it. Whatever your daily goals are, they need to be achievable in the beginning. After you've proven you can achieve the daily goals on a daily basis, add another daily goal, all while monitoring your results. This stuff takes time and consistent/persistent action.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here