Votes
N B.
  • New York
Votes |
Stubborn Hubby

N B.
  • New York
Posted Aug 3 2008, 10:56

Hi, guys... I am a new member here. I must say that I love this forum. A lot of valueable information and people seem very nice and friendly. Professionals are not snutty and very helpful. New people are sincere and goal-oriented. Well, hello, and here is my topic. This looked like a right category for it...

I have to get this out of my system…
I am a married woman (27) with two young children (6 and 2).
I like all this real estate industry, starting from interior and landscape design finishing with rehabbing...

Couple years ago we had extremely bad job transition (my husband retired from US Army, and it turned out that many years of management experience are not valuable to anyone, so he had tough time finding a job. I, on the other hand, broke my leg on the first day of a new job; needles to say that by the end of the sixth month, our neighbors fed our children and the only food we could actually afford was ramen and spaghetti with nothing in it, even butter or ketchup). I remember our Christmas that year: two hard-boiled eggs, sauerkraut salad and four potatoes. I must tell you it was FUN.

We have gone long way in the last 2 years: my husband makes about 4000 a month, I make anywhere from 3000 to 8000 per month (depending on the month, I guess). We both work a lot. I run my business from home office; therefore, very often you can find me with laptop, coffee and ashtray full of cigarette butts at 3 AM.

I have been thinking about real estate rehab for a long time (probably for a year already). I have read tons of books, etc. etc. etc. my hands grow from where they are supposed to grow, i.e. I can do pretty much anything (of course, except for things that are impossible for me due to the fact that I am a female - I am not that strong as a male). Anyways...

You know when you want something really-really bad, you have almost physical desire – it seems to sit somewhere under your heart and you can feel it. I am not sure if it is a desire, or desperation, but it is there, and it hunts me, it calls my name, it brings tears to my eyes. Please, I am not insane)))) There are no voices in my head… Yet))))

I want to make REI a life career. I am willing to commit. I am not a quitter. I understand that there are ups and down, and I am not gown to drop everything if I will trip. However...

My husband likes the idea, but he is scared to death to start it, to try. I keep bugging him: let’s try… let’s try… we can do it… He says, “Well, I am timid: we have everything so fine right now, why do we need to jump into something we don’t know?” I do, damn it! Here are the books. Search Internet – read things. But he is soooooooooo stubborn.

The thing is that we just got a house. Payments are not the best, but we are making it. I work many many hours, and I practically do not see children at all: I turn their cartoons on, and that’s all they do all day long. Well, I do feed them, too. But... My husband works long hours. He likes his job very much, but I see him maybe 3 hours a day. Kids too. I want my family back! I really think that we need to try, but he is so timid about this, and I cannot do it alone. I mean, I could, but – God forbid! - if I will fail, he is going to eat me with my bones.

The thing is HOW to I talk him onto this. He likes the security of our current life, and he is scared to death to make a move. How do I turn him into joining me? I want him to share this with me. He loves the idea, but he likes someone else doing it and does not want to have anything to do with it himself… It drives me crazy. I look like a little girl who is asking for a candy. A candy she really wants.

I was thinking to figure out a way to start it alone, and then, show him that no one is going to bite his head off, and maybe he will join me… What do you think, guys?

Loading replies...